Close

Default Gas fumes/smell from my 83

I'm getting a strong gas smell from my 83. I recently installed the Fitech fuel injection and am now running a return style fuel system. I believe the smell is coming from the vent tube that runs to the front from the top of the gas tank. I'm guessing this car originally had a charcoal canister, but it's no longer there. PO did a wire tuck and the vent tube is somewhere in the passenger from fender. My question is, what can I use to control the fumes? I don't wanna run the line back to the engine compartment, to not add any clutter. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0
    1983 Mustang L T-Top Coupe

Man these threads are never ending. I removed ALL the stuff that Ford installed to control gas fumes and now my car stinks, how can I fix it? Hmmm... I would put back all the stuff that Ford installed to control gas fumes. Sorry, I don't mean it as an insult like it sounds but these threads are created daily it seems like. I get the whole desire for a clean engine bay though. I wonder if there is any room back with the tank to mount a canister? They aren't THAT big. Maybe in between the tank and bumper cover? The bumper is steel so you could easily drill and mount a bracket of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Man these threads are never ending. I removed ALL the stuff that Ford installed to control gas fumes and now my car stinks, how can I fix it? Hmmm... I would put back all the stuff that Ford installed to control gas fumes. Sorry, I don't mean it as an insult like it sounds but these threads are created daily it seems like. I get the whole desire for a clean engine bay though. I wonder if there is any room back with the tank to mount a canister? They aren't THAT big. Maybe in between the tank and bumper cover? The bumper is steel so you could easily drill and mount a bracket of some sort.
    I appreciate the advice, but you're anger is out of line. If you'll notice, I stated the PO did a wire tuck and cleaned up the engine compartment. The canister, if it was even there, was removed at that time. Needless to say, I don't have that part. I'm simply asking what else can be used that will work like a charcoal canister would. Maybe something more readily available and cost effective.

Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0

There's no anger here and I offered a solution. The vast majority of vehicles made for the last 40 years have charcoal canisters on them and I bet your local Pick a Part is full of them for less than $5. It really doesn't matter who pulled it off the car I don't think. Good luck finding a solution. Since the FiTech is self tuning I doubt you are running rich unless there is something wrong with it if it was installed properly so the answer is going to be somewhat limited in scope.
    Last edited by homer302; 07-22-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    There's no anger here and I offered a solution. It really doesn't matter who pulled it off the car I don't think. Good luck finding a solution. Since the FiTech is self tuning I doubt you are running rich unless there is something wrong with it if it was installed properly so the answer is going to be somewhat limited in scope.
    The fumes aren't coming from the FiTech unit. It's coming from the passenger fender, where I'm sure the vent line ends. I was thinking some type of filter could possibly be used. I'm unsure of what makes up the internals of a charcoal canister. If all else fails, maybe I can find a used canister and mount it near the tank as you suggested. But, if some type of common filter could be used, that'd be even better.

Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0

Yep, used canister time. Que homer302.

There are 100 emission devices on a carb era 1983 to 1985 4-bbl, so I reiterate what homer302 said.

It always ticks us off, if we don't have the original parts.

I understand clean looking engine bay goals, but its a false agenda that means you have to know more than the Ford motor company.

I don't , so I never remove an emissions system if I can help it.
    That's not an elitest doo gooder move, its a reality that for the few minutes it takes to ask a question, you can have an answer.

It took me 5 years to under stand carb emission control basics, and I'm still not their yet, but I can find any answer by the tools the JA Cook, Zephyr78', and a few other guys from 6 cylinder and truck forums have pitched in to help on. There are many, many others here who can help.

In terms of variation, every year there was a routing change to meet the emissions requirments, so their are a few roads that lead to Rome on this subject.

The 6 cylinder Mustang one is tucked away under the passenger fender.

V8 4bbl Foxes had two, IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    You'll need this (which you can get new or used, and its either black or whilte) They go under the passenger side fender. There is a second for V8's (mine was an I6)

Extra details on it are in these three posts.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...vap-components
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...rcoal-canister
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...rcoal-Canister

In my June 2012 ITZ OLD Stang VIN and HEAD 125___06 v1 file is a bunch of pictures

6438-6642.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgino757 View Post
    I Mac Guyvered a solution by slipping a hose into the canister and using a few adapters of various sizes. Pics are worth 1,000 words so I snapped a few of how I laid it out. I really want to find a vacuum delay valve for the evap system, but this is it for now.

The hose fits snug as a bug

The big hose necks down to a size useable by the evap control valve

my purge line connected to the evap control valve

TAB/TAD solenoid connections with evap system tee'd into the EGR feed on the carb

evap and thermactor system connections

spark port connection

Ported vacuum switch that controls the spark advance

Who can resist a nice motor shot? lol

I more or less used this as a loose guide for setting up my vacuum system based on what I still have.
    Generally the simple system is the F truck one like Mgino757 tried.

See post 09-01-2010, 05:27 PM #7 of 15 (permalink) by miesk5

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...stem-work.html

Hmmm, maybe the canister is still there? This is originally a 4 cylinder car. I'm used to the charcoal canister that's under the hood in the "newer " foxes. I'll have to take a peek and see if anything is there. I don't recall seeing anything during the times I've been under the car, but wasn't looking for it either. I'll take a look and report back. Thanks for the help!

Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0