Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    I thought it was cool to see some early stuff being made.
    It IS Kool to see some early stuff being made especially given the costs involved in tooling and other aspects equired to "Repo" a discontinued automotive part.

It's easy to throw stones and make the blanket statement that ALL repo parts JUNK when you have NEVER invested your money, your time and your effort into the re-manufacturing of a discontinued part. Just so everyone knows the answer is YES I have done so and remanufactured a couple REPO parts for other marques in the transportation industry. I'm NOT doing that schidt again!

It's nowhere near as easy or cheap to manufacture a reproduction part for anything without regard to what part of the world your repo part is manufactured. It's all about unit cost, number of units needed to get the part manufactured at a resellable cost and how many of the damn things can you actually sell? Given the previous statement makes little to no "Cents" to remanufacture most discontinued automotive parts.

Personally I am AMAZED at the amount of reproduction parts that are currently available for Foxbody Mustangs!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 01-22-2020 at 12:00 PM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Lol get over it. Nobody threw stones and said Every repro part was junk. From my experience most of the parts I bought did not meet my expectations.

Pretty amazing how my asking just ONE question can PISS OFF so many people!

"WHY DOES EVERYONE ASSUME a reproduction part is JUNK right out of the box without ever seeing it, holding it or using it?"

Get over it!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
    Pretty amazing how my asking just ONE question can PISS OFF so many people!

"WHY DOES EVERYONE ASSUME a reproduction part is JUNK right out of the box without ever seeing it, holding it or using it?"

Get over it!
    Because 95% of the time they are just that, JUNK
    IMO, nothing compares to a NOS Ford part or a nice condition used Ford OEM part.

THANK YOU!! Someone with common sense.

2 pages in. Did I miss the pics of this new speedo?
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

[QUOTE=OX1;1917847]2 pages in. Did I miss the pics of this new speedo?[/QUOTE

LOL was wondering the same thing. And was there a link?

But for Repo parts I'm starting to agree there is a lot of junk but sometimes its better then nothing. Ex. Dew wipes the metal sucks and could they at least paint it charcoal as a option. The other one recently dealt with Door Handles. Had to source used ones. And Cowl to hood rubber the cheapest where better then the Good ones LOL
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

[QUOTE=plumkrazy;1918112]
    Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    2 pages in. Did I miss the pics of this new speedo?[/QUOTE

LOL was wondering the same thing. And was there a link?

But for Repo parts I'm starting to agree there is a lot of junk but sometimes its better then nothing. Ex. Dew wipes the metal sucks and could they at least paint it charcoal as a option. The other one recently dealt with Door Handles. Had to source used ones. And Cowl to hood rubber the cheapest where better then the Good ones LOL
    I just thought it was kind of comical with all the gnashing and we didn't even see the product yet.
    That said, my pet peeve is vac caps. Typical one's made today don't make it a year. I ordered a bunch of
    high temp nylon one's from McMaster, will see how those fare. Pretty crappy when 30-40 year old one's are
    better than new.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

To be fair:

To determine a reproduction part is junk or not, one must buy it and then install it. By this point A) They already have your money B) The POS is in your car. The damage is done. So I can understand being hesitant to buy a reproduction part, especially if it is a case in which the real deal is only a little more. Buy it right or buy it twice to some extent.
    Triple black '86 GT Convertible 5.0/5spd (T5Z, hurst short throw, VM-1, 93 leather, all black tmi door panels, 93 cobra wing, strut tower brace, sub-frame connectors, 13.5 degrees base timing).

Quote Originally Posted by MERCURY MOTORSPORT View Post
    I'm always glad to see more restoration parts being produced for this era of Mustang and Capri, though little is made for Capri-specific parts!

The older generations of Mustangs have enjoyed years of endless reproductions and improved restoration parts with plenty of choices & options.

But since I'll always jump at the opportunity to rant - in most cases that there's a big difference between original "factory" or OEM or NOS parts versus reproduction parts, and there'll always be a portion of owners collectors enthusiasts that will opt for original quality parts over repro's.

Especially in regards to hard-to-find original parts & accessories - the exorbitant prices and hoarding has kept many owners (who are seeking to buy) from making their vehicles nicer and being able to afford to add options & upgrades or replace existing parts. It feels like half of my life I've been chasing unobtanium parts and sometimes I get sick of the time & money wasted.

Personally, I take real issue with much if not most reproduction replacement and restoration parts being made overseas "these days". Sure the parts may "look" similar but seldomly are of good or high original quality. And yes I'd rather pay more for "Made in USA" reproduction/repair parts instead of inexpensive made in China or Malaysia or wherever else the Yuan or Rupee or Peso is strong at the moment.

I do love the fact that the OP Homer was saying that Fox Resto is providing repair-restoration service for existing speedometers. I wonder if they're using original NOS replacement parts or are having those pieces reproduced in the USA - or did they order batches of overseas replacement pieces? Can't help but wonder.

I do own a NOS Ford Motorsport 140-MPH speedometer and am not worried about reproductions or restoration parts de-valuing an original authentic NOS quality Ford part. And I am glad that someone is offering restoration services for these old gauges. Again - to me it's really important that the various parts & pieces are sourced here in USA, as much as humanly possible. For now at least. When the USA finally transforms into India-China-Mexico then I suppose it won't really matter much at all where anything is made I suppose
    Perfectly said!!!
    86 Capri-84 LTD a wagon-85 notch-86 notch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12