Close

Default 1983 Sport Seats Black w Grey stripes ... Calling for any one who has used TMI

I'm looking for anyone who has ordered sport seats for a 1983 Capri or Mustang from TMI. I realize that their fabric will not be a good match but I want to see what it looks like in advance of buying it. I figure if anyone has done so they would probably be on this board. I've tried to reach out to TMI and have not heard back yet from them, if you have ordered black and grey sport seats code ha and have them installed or just have the seat covers uninstalled pictures would mean a lot.

On another thread I saw that SMS Fabrics would be the place to get the fabric from if I was trying to be 100% correct. Well I wish to be I don't want to deal with a company that looks to be so crooked and I'm not 100% purist. If it looks close I will probably be quite satisfied.

Unfortunately while there is multiple places that it can you ordered from everyone has a very benign stock photo which does not show any detail of the fabric other than that the insert is gray and the outside is black.

Not exactly what you are asking...but a friend of mine used the TMI seat covers for a tan interior '85 Saleen several years back and the fit and finish was pretty damn nice. The colors are not 100% on point as you (and many others) have mentioned, but if you are not looking to be 100% concours correct then the TMI seat covers look 100% better in a freshly restored interior than tattered, 100k miles seats

Name:  Twin Post DIN Install.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  62.8 KB
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I got samples from TMI for Canyon Red and the pattern and texture were so far off, I think I could have done better just going to a local fabric store. The color was a little off, too. The samples from SMS were exact for factory, as far as I could tell. SMS was very very helpful to me a few years ago, but that was then and I never actually bought anything from them. But I don't recall hearing that they are crooked. Unless TMI changed their policy, you should be able to get samples from them, if they get back to you ... maybe they're all on vacation. I wouldn't spend any money until I had samples in my hands. The TMI route will be much cheaper, if you can live with the material. One tip: unless you replace your foam with new, you'll probably need to use some pieces of foam (from fabric store) to stuff the new covers. The old foam will be compressed and the new covers might look too loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Not exactly what you are asking...but a friend of mine used the TMI seat covers for a tan interior '85 Saleen several years back and the fit and finish was pretty damn nice. The colors are not 100% on point as you (and many others) have mentioned, but if you are not looking to be 100% concours correct then the TMI seat covers look 100% better in a freshly restored interior than tattered, 100k miles seats

Name:  Twin Post DIN Install.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  62.8 KB
    I agree that the TMI options are not always a perfect match for the OEM materials, but most of that is due to TMI using available products to keep the costs down. The volume of concourse Fox restorations is not high enough to justify having "Perfect" restoration materials made or at least not at this time.

With that said, I actually really like the TMI beige/tan options for the Fox and since I am not a 100% restoration guy anyway, I would match the rest of the interior parts and pieces to the new seat color to make it all work together. Obviously not the cheapest option, but in most cases you will need/want to refurbish/repaint/replace most of the interior pieces anyway. Well at least on my Foxes!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn V View Post
    One tip: unless you replace your foam with new, you'll probably need to use some pieces of foam (from fabric store) to stuff the new covers. The old foam will be compressed and the new covers might look too loose.

I second that. I bought foam and batting to glue to the original seat foam to help fill out the new TMI seat covers that I installed. Although if I did it again, I will buy new foam as it would simplify the install.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

Buy new foam. You're better off.