Close

Default 1983 stock Radio installation?

Part of bringing my '83 back to stock has been to remove an aftermarket Sony and install the AM/FM cassette that was an option. I got three radios off eBay and managed to make one nice one that works well. I redid some of the wiring that was messed up by the sony installer and everything now works as it should. The boost to the back speakers sounds really good too.

The big mystery is how to get enough clearance behind the radio opening to work the radio into place. Manuals haven't helped and no matter what I mess with there in not enough clearance to do this. Were the first year convertibles assembled differently, perhaps welded instead of screwed in places for more strength? There is a bracket on the left that was bolted to the lower brace that surrounds the radio. I though removing that would help. It did, but not enough. It is different than the brace I've seen on a coupe in the same area.

I read a terrific thread on removing the dash but it seems like this shouldn't be necessary just to install a radio that might have come with the car.

Thank you for any input or experience.

It is tight in there, but it should fit. I also removed a CD player from my 84 GT convertible and went back to a dual post cassette player. If your dash has been cut, you will probably have to use a radio delete plate and cut holes in it to line up with the radio face and posts.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

I have removed the A/C floor ducts and pulled back the carpet hoping that every 1/16" gained would help, but nothing has. It is beyond tight. I think Ford must have used inflatable radios for '83. Did the bottom metal that runs from door to door come apart in '84? Mine does not but it is in several welded pieces.
    Thanks for the input

I have removed the A/C floor ducts and pulled back the carpet hoping that every 1/16" gained would help, but nothing has. It is beyond tight. I think Ford must have used inflatable radios for '83. Did the bottom metal that runs from door to door come apart in '84? Mine does not but it is in several welded pieces.
    Thanks for the input

With the console removed, and the HVAC ducts as you mentioned....it fits. Removing the console is not really necessary, I just prefer to as it gives more room to work. I have done this more than a few times. It goes in easier from the passenger side as I recall....you have to place it in over the tunnel with the radio facing into the tunnel, then twist & turn it into place, all while saying a few choice words...but it definitely will go without removing the dash. I'm pretty sure they were pre-installed into the dash before the dash was installed on the assembly line.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey