Close

FEP Power Member

Question Is hitchhiking making a comeback?

I've seen more hitchhiker's in the past month than I can recall seeing in the previous 20 years.

First one was leaving the movies a couple of weeks ago. Some old guy with a cane approached me in the parking lot and asked for a ride home. Since the Senior apartments he mentioned was on my way, I gave him a ride.

Second was the weekend before July 4th. I was riding to a family party with Mom. Some guy, looked like he was in his 30s, was on the highway with his thumb out. But we drove by.

Third was earlier today. I was across town on an errand and another oldtimer was standing by the side of the road with his thumb out. The car ahead of me pulled over, I assume to pick him up.

FEP Senior Member

I don't think it's just hitchhiking making a comeback. I think it's panhandling too, and it's becoming a new underground sport in a sense. I live close to the border of Oregon / California, and we are the last / first major town on our side of the border. Outside of our Wal-Mart we have sometimes 6-10 people sleeping, panhandling, or asking for rides. Some are upping their game by adding a dog (or dogs) to the mix to get more sympathy. Heck, last night after I loaded my groceries, a woman I'm guessing in her 20's was walking through the lot topless (does her backpack count as clothing?). For where I live, it's usually people in their 20's that have nothing in life but aimlessly roaming the earth looking for another meal.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

We have it here as well. Some are the local deadbeats that won't work a job but they'll Chase a pill half way across the county. Not much panhandling in our small town but there's a decent City about 20 minutes to our West where the panhandlers are getting bad, some are becoming so brazen that they'll walk right up to your car and stare you in the face.... Creepy, especially for a lady by herself.
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

Happens here in St. Louis as well. Lots of people off the interstates with cardboard signs.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

FEP Power Member

Panhandling never went away, I've always seen them. But it's just been a really long time since I've seen anyone with their thumb out and seeing 3 in a short time got me thinking.

As for the old guy I gave a ride to. He offered me gas money. But a 77 year old vet needing a ride from the store back to assisted living apartments needs it more than me, so I just dropped him off for free.

As for the beggars, I just lie. Tell them that I no longer carry cash, since it's so easy to pay everywhere with cards now.