Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well, that didn't work. Bolts were made in China. Nothing doing. Anyone have any idea where to buy American bolts that aren't black? I want the factory look, not dress up. Just good natural finish US made bolts. Everywhere I look they're from overseas. Please.
    Thanks.

FEP Supporter

Don't know if these are made in USA but they are touted as being stronger than stock.

https://www.npdlink.com/store/produc...4822-2457.html
    '85 GT

No industrial fastener supply houses around your way?
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic82 View Post
    Well, that didn't work. Bolts were made in China. Nothing doing. Anyone have any idea where to buy American bolts that aren't black? I want the factory look, not dress up. Just good natural finish US made bolts. Everywhere I look they're from overseas. Please.
    Thanks.
    Here is a good place to start: https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-h...crews/=18udude
    1985 GT owned since new

FEP Member

Wish you were near me, I'd fix you right up. Easy outs are a joke, go to any muffler shop and ask if that's how they get out broken bolts/studs and either they will laugh or that's not a shop you should go to. I did exhaust for a living in my family owned muffler shop for years in the 80's, trust me, in that era there was a lot of broken bolts/studs to deal with daily and there is an easy way to deal with them.

Lay a fender washer over the broken bolt and weld the washer to the bolt with a Mig welder. Then center a bolt on the washer and weld the bolt to the washer. Let it cool. The heat will have expanded the bolt in the hole and when it cools it will contract and be much easier to spin than it was before it broke in the first place. If it really stubborn, heat up the object you are removing the bolt from with an oxy/acet torch and spin the bolt out. Piece of cake, way easier than drilling/easy out/heli-coil methods.

FEP Member

Wish you were near me, I'd fix you right up. Easy outs are a joke, go to any muffler shop and ask if that's how they get out broken bolts/studs and either they will laugh or that's not a shop you should go to. I did exhaust for a living in my family owned muffler shop for years in the 80's, trust me, in that era there was a lot of broken bolts/studs to deal with daily and there is an easy way to deal with them.

Lay a fender washer over the broken bolt and weld the washer to the bolt with a Mig welder. Then center a bolt on the washer and weld the bolt to the washer. Let it cool. The heat will have expanded the bolt in the hole and when it cools it will contract and be much easier to spin than it was before it broke in the first place. If it really stubborn, heat up the object you are removing the bolt from with an oxy/acet torch and spin the bolt out. Piece of cake, way easier than drilling/easy out/heli-coil methods.

FEP Member

By the way, a good welder can do this even if the bolt is a little below the surface. I those cases, sometimes I do drill out the center of the broken bolt so I can get more weld contact. Works weather the bolt is threaded into steel, cast iron, or aluminum.

Check with ARP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12