Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Local Auction: Low mile 84 GT Turbo vert (Sacramento, California)

There's a low mile GT Turbo vert up for auction this week. The auction house requires you to pick up the car in person so this is great for someone local to Northern California.

http://ccaa-rc.autoremarketers.com/w...ingId=13303194
    Derek Kuntz

2001 Ford Focus ZX3
    1982 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 - Sold

Damn, that looks like Gemini's car he just sold a few weeks back or one identical to it. He lives in CA so that sounds even more like the case.

Uh...it's not identical, that is my old car. I sold it to a private party locally right after I got the GLX. I thought it was odd when he didn't want any of the other parts that I hadn't installed yet. Huh...
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    Uh...it's not identical, that is my old car. I sold it to a private party locally right after I got the GLX.
    I hate flippers. I hope they lose money. That is a nice car. If I were in northern CA, I would try to buy it.
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

I don't know the actual details but the ad says it was donated by a charity or is for a charity. Not sure what that means.

Usually means the owner donated the vehicle to a non-profit charity. That charity in turn has the vehicle auctioned off and collects the cash proceeds. The original owner than gets a certificate from the charity of the sold-as price to use as a deduction on their itemized tax return.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Usually means the owner donated the vehicle to a non-profit charity. That charity in turn has the vehicle auctioned off and collects the cash proceeds. The original owner than gets a certificate from the charity of the sold-as price to use as a deduction on their itemized tax return.
    If the proceeds are going to charity, then I wish them luck. This sounds like the ultimate way to keep from flipping a car for profit. It would probably have to sell for more than it is worth for any potential tax deduction to cover the original price paid.
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

I think Bryan should buy it back at auction and then sell it again!

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I think Bryan should buy it back at auction and then sell it again!
    I don't think so. I got what I wanted back from it, but it does feel a little weird seeing it show up on an auction site. So soon after selling it.
    Bryan

FEP Power Member

So what was the condition of the car when you sold it. Can't tell a lot from the pictures.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    So what was the condition of the car when you sold it. Can't tell a lot from the pictures.
    I am sure Bryan will chime in but it's a pretty nice car. He re-did some of the upholstery so it is in good shape and I guarantee this car has never been abused. If the thing sells as cheap as it is likely to at auction, someone is going to end up with a real nice ride.

Sadly I don't see a good ending for this one with all the Foxbody parts strippers out in Cali.

The car is basically a nearly all original, low mileage survivor. The engine and turbo unit run well with no problems. The car does not leak or smoke. The wheels and tires are low mileage and were replaced about 5 years ago. The interior is complete with new seat upholstery. The only interior item that needed replacement is the dash pad. The top is in good condition, but the rear window panel needs replacing because the vinyl was starting to separate from the glass at the corners. The original paint is in good condition. The hood stripe needs repainting. The bumpers are in good shape, but I was planning to repaint them due to fading. All body side molding was in excellent condition, but the left rear piece was stating to come off the body...just needs new 3M tape. The black trim around the top well, windshield header and along the top of the doors needs repainting. The right rear quarter needs repainting due to a shoddy respray by a prior owner and the clear coat was starting to degrade.

Everything works, but the A/C needs recharging. The car passes smog easily. The only mechanical need was the power steering pump had seized and needs replacing. Most of what the car needs is to finish the cosmetic restoration and the remaining mechanical items to be a good looking and running car.

The only reason that I sold the car so cheaply and quickly was because after buying the GLX, my landlord gave me a limited amount of time to sell it. The cheapest storage facility cost over 100 per month. Due to age and physical ability, lack of space and mechanical skills made me reevaluate my needs and go with a car that needed less skill and effort. Selling that car was a very sad moment for me, but I never imagined that it would wind up on the auction block immediately afterwards. I signed the clear title and gave it to the buyer...I can only imagine that trying to see what it might get thru an auction was part of his plan. The only thing I told him was if he did something hideous to it, I didn't want to know about it.
    Bryan

I see the drive belt it is laying in the passenger seat. I guess due to the issues with the power steering pump. That makes it a non-runner because it's the alternator belt too obviously so people likely think the thing needs a lot more work than it obviously does. Someone in CA really should step up to the plate and save this one.

FEP Power Member

I'm looking into it. Thanks for the info.

Current bid went from 100 yesterday to $900 this morning. Auction ends at 1PM EST or 10AM PST

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Current bid went from 100 yesterday to $900 this morning. Auction ends at 1PM EST or 10AM PST
    Looks like there's some sort of a reserve in place. I wonder what that's set at?
    Bryan

This feels kind of slimy. Why go out and buy a car and donate it to charity? What is the angle? Are they marking up the value of the donation and is it really worth it just for the deduction?
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTJIM View Post
    This feels kind of slimy.
    Yes it does. Especially if I could have probably bought it cheaper and well discussed with the previous owner. Now it seems to be as is, where is condition.

If the car sells for $2000 the owner that donated it to charity does not get $2000 credit on their taxes owed. They get $2000 reduction in their adjusted gross income on their itemized return. In other words, they'll get a tiny fraction of that $2000 back.

If their reason for the donation was to get an extra $2000 tax refund they made a poor financial choice.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    If the car sells for $2000 the owner that donated it to charity does not get $2000 credit on their taxes owed. They get $2000 reduction in their adjusted gross income on their itemized return. In other words, they'll get a tiny fraction of that $2000 back.

If their reason for the donation was to get an extra $2000 tax refund they made a poor financial choice.
    Exactly. I don't see the angle. The only way I can think that makes any sense is if the buyer is the CEO of the non profit and gets paid some ridiculous salary. And this only makes sense if the non profit can sell the car at a profit which it then uses to pay his salary.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

FEP Power Member

Well, it looks like my wife bought the car. I'm in China for business for another week and a half. This will be interesting to see her get it home from 2.5 hours away. I need to be careful when I show her pictures of cars for sale. I just returned the borrowed trailer last weekend.

So, let me get this straight. While you were in china you're wife bought a classic mustang?!?! Is she a robot.?

That was nice of her to do. Not every wife would...
    Bryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast