Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FEP Power Member

Even better, she is going to pick it up with the trailer and drag it home. It will be interesting to see how that all works out.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Your a blessed man my wife has no interest at all in my car except how much I spend on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yay! Thanks to you both for saving this one from certain death. Hopefully you were rewarded with a dirt cheap purchase price so it's all worked out for everyone.

Way to go Kevin. I'm sure we will all be interested in the details of how the wife gets it home. My wife has no issues with my Mustang hobby, but just barely participates. She would never take on a task like this.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

I'm with Bob...my wife is fine with my Mustang hobby, and she participates in a few events when it involves the '05 Saleen (she could care less about my Foxes) but she would do no such thing as in buy a Fox, go get it and trailer it home in my absence.

Mrs. KevinK for the ultimate WIN here!!
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Not ever having met Mrs. KevinK, my suggestion:

If (when) she starts commenting (complaining) about the time/work/effort and logistics involved in what seems like a simple project (because, as we all know, projects like this are known to not go as smoothly as it seems they should), tell her that your friends on FEP are mightily impressed with her and are rooting for a good outcome.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

FEP Power Member

The wife and car have mode it home safely and in one piece. The truck and trailer are yet to be determined. She somehow managed to crush the tool box on the front of the trailer before leaving the neighborhood. Minor issue I think..

The car looks better than I expected. It did not run but seems to be just a water pump belt and battery issue. My wife is no newbee to the hobby. She shows here own 88 McLaren Mustang in the MCA Unrestored class and also wins a Gold. Hands on? More of the cleaning type than wrenching.

Condition wise, the wheels look very nice and new tires. The dash was hacked for a DIN radio and I'm pretty sure the dash pad is cracked. The engine is a little dirty but everything seems to be there. I'm expecting it needs some belts, battery and a power steering pump. There are 4 strange holes in the trunk lid. That's about all I can see from the pictures.

My wife is pretty amazed at how my wrenching can save money on the projects.. The last non-running project was up and running in 20 minutes. I just cant get here to sell that one now. Definitely need to consider thinning the heard.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KevinK; 07-27-2017 at 11:00 PM.

FEP Power Member

Default 84 Turbo GT Vert.

Duplicate post
    Last edited by KevinK; 07-27-2017 at 05:52 AM. Reason: dup

Kevin - the battery is fairly new. If you give it a charge, the car will start and run. It's just that without the belt, the alternator can't charge the battery. The holes in the trunk lid are from a whale tail spoiler that was on the car when I bought it. If you check my photo album, you can see it in some of the early pics. The CD player stereo work fine, but it was installed and the dash cut prior to my owning it. The dash speakers work, but are long overdue for replacement. The dash pad is cracked in multiple places, so it will need a cover or swapping out. The heater core will need replacing as it causes the windshield to fog when you turn the heater on.

If there are any other questions about anything, just PM me.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

If you decide to put a factory twin post back in the car for originality...it CAN be done even though it was cut out for DIN opening. Let me know and I can dig up an old thread where I showed how to do it.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

An excellent ending to the story on this car, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    My wife is no newbee to the hobby. She shows here own 88 McLaren Mustang in the MCA Unrestored class and also wins a Gold. Hands on? More of the cleaning type than wrenching.
    Sounds like your wife is taking an interest in this project too. Maybe she has a soft spot for a Turbo GT vert now?

Congratulations on winning the auction and getting the car home safely! My wife will occasionally move our truck out of the driveway but she would never attempt pulling a trailer.

It's nice to see this one saved. FEP rocks!
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

Congrats, happy to see this Gt Turbo end up in good hands.

FEP Power Member

Well, I finally got home from my China trip early this morning. This afternoon, I took a quick look at the car. Some areas are pretty nice and some areas not so much. The dash pad is toast and the hood needs to be repainted. There are a few small pieces missing here and there.

Now on to see if it runs. Keep in mind since have been gone a few weeks, I can't spend the whole day on it. Put the battery charger on but no cranking over. No solenoid click either. Cleaned the battery cables and found the starter cable loose. Tried jumping it at the solenoid and still nothing. Swapped out the starter solenoid with a spare and she fired right up. Now I need to go find some belts.

FEP Power Member

Default She runs

Well, I finally got home from my China trip early this morning. This afternoon, I took a quick look at the car. Some areas are pretty nice and some areas not so much. The dash pad is toast and the hood needs to be repainted. There are a few small pieces missing here and there.

Now on to see if it runs. Keep in mind since have been gone a few weeks, I can't spend the whole day on it. Put the battery charger on but no cranking over. No solenoid click either. Cleaned the battery cables and found the starter cable loose. Tried jumping it at the solenoid and still nothing. Swapped out the starter solenoid with a spare and she fired right up. Now I need to go find some belts.

FEP Power Member

Ok, I put 3 new belts on it and took it for a spin. Every thing seems to work. Brakes could use a little adjusting maybe. Te wife gave it a good bath and I cleaned the engine compartment. Time to go order some parts.

I am not sure if in all the traveling you have been doing you have possibly missed all the posts about it but the previous owner to this car is on this forum and he has offered in this thread to provide you with the spare parts he has that the person who bought it from him did not want. He also knows every inch of the car and everything that is wrong with it.

Glad you got her running again. Post up some pictures in the car show forum when you cleaned her up.
    Last edited by homer302; 08-07-2017 at 01:15 PM.

FEP Power Member

I did contact the previous owner and got some details. Not all of them were accurate. It seems he sold it to a party that does auctions. He mentioned some of the issues on the car which he did not have the time to attend to. He offered some the spare parts he had collected for the repairs and I offered to purchase them. After that he has been MIA for weeks. I could not wait any longer and had to go out and buy new parts. I did get stuck with extra fees due to expired registration. I bought the car to put on the road. Now it is back on the road again legally. Time to end this post and start a new one.

Congratulations Kevin.
    Wow, What a wife!
    I think that Bryan will rest more easily now that he knows that it will receive the treatment that it deserves.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Outstanding thread and results. Kudos to you and your wife for all the time and money spent with shows.

Also maximum respect to anyone who finds a four eyed car, buys it, and brings it home. Enjoy this great hobby!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12