Close

Default 1986 mustang lx tail lights

can i fit 87-93 foxbody tail lights onto my 1986 mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Zackstallone86 View Post
    can i fit 87-93 foxbody tail lights onto my 1986 mustang
    Yes, but why would you want too?

IMHO the 83-86 and 93 Cobra tail lights are the best looking Fox tail lights!

But, YES you can install 87-93 tail lights onto your 86 Mustang. The 83-93 Mustang housings are all the same, just the lenses changed over the years. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I agree with Trey......heck I replaced the tails on my 88 LX to 85-86 LX tails. But yeah, bolt on and go.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Yea - cobra and SVO tail lights are very similar to the 83-86. I've always preferred the them over the 87-93 or 79-82 or "cheese grater" 87-93 GT lights

I picked up some 84 SVO re-pops for my 86GT and gave my original 86 lights to my son for his convertible.

Some idiot had removed his buckets and put some sort of ricer looking lights on his convertible. Might be ok on a boy racer car but they were terrible on his. We sourced factory buckets from the u-pull-it and did a crap load of cleaning and polishing and painting to fully recondition everything. His look nice and are now correct.

FEP Senior Member

I never liked 87-93 LX tail lights, they always seem too dark and a bit dull. and contrary to 99.9% of Aero Car owners, I actually love the cheese graters on the GTs. (87-93 of course)

On our 4Eye Cars, the SVO tail lights look great, together with the Capri 79-82 tail lights.

Contrary to most here, I like the look of the 87-93 LX lenses. They are a direct swap, just remember to use amber bulbs for the turn signals...

Name:  vert.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  202.0 KB

Keep in mind, if you remove just the lenses and don't change the whole housings, it is nearly impossible to ever get the lenses to seal tight against the housings like they did from the factory. As far as function, they function 100% and the housings are the same. It's just the way the clips work that hold them from the factory. It is extremely hard to get them back like they were flush against the housings.