Close

Default Set The Engine Back

So y'know how many aftermarket K-members have another set of mount holes so you can to set the engine back an inch or so? Anyone done that? What all did you have to do? Mine allows that, and I'm becoming resigned to the fact that this is the only way I'm going to get my #$%& fan to fit. I'm guessing exhaust, shifter hole, and driveshaft (and mine's aluminum ) all have to be modified. But what else?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Wow! Most expensive fan ever in a Zephyr!

Mike

A lower profile fan sounds like a lot easier and cheaper solution.

It was actually pretty expensive as used fans go.

Anyway, I have my reasons for wanting to use this fan. If you're curious, you can look at my "Mark VIII Fan + 5.0L... " thread. But, also I suppose we could consider the handling advantage of doing this.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

It's just a lot of effort to get a $20 junkyard fan to work when you'd have a ton of clearance with some low profile aftermarket fans...or a different junkyard dual fan setup.

I used the 95 v8 fan. My radiator actually sits back about a 1/2" farther than stock (also 95). I know this cause I had to mod the upper mounts to fit after I cut and welded the bottom 95 mounts on my rad support to support having the 95 condenser where the stock rad should be. There's a good inch between the fan and the bolt heads on the water pump

I just want to know what's involved in setting the engine back, that's all. Seems like in my case it wouldn't even be that radical of a change (vs. stock, correct engine placement in the chassis) considering my engine seems to be sitting too far forward for some reason. Can we forget I said anything about the fan and just move on?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Transmission cross member/mount modification if there isn't enough leeway there...
    ... adjustable rear axle control arms, adjusted rearward some, would make quick work of some engine setback... you got those?

Like some have said elsewhere, I would consider gracefully creating enough forward movement of the radiator in the rad support.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 07-19-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

My transmission crossmember is fine, my mount sits right in the middle of the slots. I do not have adjustable control arms though.

I'll certainly look at all my options before I commit to something like this. If i have to have my driveshaft shortened, that would be a good reason not to do it right there. I feel like maybe there's enough adjustment to it so that it might just not need it though. Some parts I would actually like better, like the shifter sitting farther back.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

How far is the DS yoke engaged currently into the trans? If you have room to slide it in further and not bottom when loaded, it should be okay.

And the other stuff wouldn't really matter (shifter, exhaust), unless something already has limited clearance.

Odd, I've used multiple mark VIII fans, never an issue. I have offset them to the side just a bit by trimming.

Bad idea on the move back. Do you have aftermarket exhaust? Could hit the steering shaft. Could put the yoke too far into the trans. Could be forced to slot crossmember mounts. And on and on
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I have the motor set back on my AI race car. I also set the motor back on a buddy's bracket car. No issues with anything on either car. The heads will end up pretty tight to the firewall. But no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    Odd, I've used multiple mark VIII fans, never an issue.
    That's what's so frustrating! Why is it so tight for me, when others have no problem?!

Hadn't thought of the steering shaft thing, thanks. And if the yoke ends up too far in the trans, I likely won't do it.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by 4idfox View Post
    I have the motor set back on my AI race car. I also set the motor back on a buddy's bracket car. No issues with anything on either car. The heads will end up pretty tight to the firewall. But no issues.
    Thanks. When you say you had no problems does that mean you didn't have to modify anything?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Super Member

There is no need to do anything with the differential, or control arms .
    You most likely won't have any interference with the steering shaft either .
    Transmission crossmembers are available if you need more adjustment .
    Like said ,the heads will be a bit closer to the firewall , but weight balance will offset the extra work.
    Exhaust will be a no brainier .
    You might need to have the drive shaft cut and balanced , not that big of a deal .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Senior Member

Since you mention you have an aftermarket K-member is it possible the engine mount position is actually forward of the stock position and that is causing the problem or is this one of those weird F/Z issues? How much room do you have between the engine and the firewall now?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Since you mention you have an aftermarket K-member is it possible the engine mount position is actually forward of the stock position and that is causing the problem or is this one of those weird F/Z issues? How much room do you have between the engine and the firewall now?
    The heads are about 3 inches from the firewall.

I thought it might be a weird F/Z problem until I saw that other one with the Mark fan in person. So that counts THAT out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Here's a look at how far the yoke sticks out of the trans.

Looks like I do have some room to move back here. With both the yoke and the shifter hole.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Blog Entries

That actually looks like the yoke is too far out, if that's flat on the ground.Have to look at mine to be sure.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    That actually looks like the yoke is too far out, if that's flat on the ground.Have to look at mine to be sure.
    Thanks. It would be cool to know a baseline heads to firewall measurement too.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST