Close

Default '86 Distributor Motorcraft/Autoline?

Hey all,

PIP sensor in my '86 GT distributor pooped the bed last week and I've been trying to source a replacement.

I want a Motorcraft (or as close to it as possible) distributor so I called the dealer, they don't make them anymore. Looked online and closest thing to a Motorcraft is an Autoline, great. Talked to my auto parts buddy and he gets me the Autoline D4095 (which is listed on RockAuto as the appropriate one for the application).

Now here's where it gets weird. My old distributor Motorcraft P/N is E4ZE-12131-AA. The Autoline (which ended up being a Motorcraft reman, as expected) has a Motorcraft P/N of E4TE-12131-CA.

Everything seemed fine and dandy, dimensions seemed the same, both parts looked the same, good to go. I go to put it in the motor and the distributor doesn't fit into the hole. Turns out the distributor housing right where the shaft disappears into it is about 1.5mm bigger than the old distributor so it just sits on the block instead of going inside.

I do some googling on the E4TE P/N and it tells me that is for a 351W, not a 302. Apparently the 351's have a slightly wider distributor hole, but they should also have a larger oil pump shaft hex size. The hex size on both old and new distributors are the same.

So now I'm confused. Did Autoline take a 351 distributor, throw a 302 size oil pump shaft on it as part of the reman and sell it as such? If I order another one will I get the same thing or a proper part that fits my car...Would love to stay away from MSD etc. from what I've learned on these forums but I really don't understand what's going on with these Motorcraft/Autoline parts. Can anyone shed some light?

The rebuilders take back whatever is give to them. The part number for the new dizzy you got is a truck part number but that shouldn't matter. I think you should return it and get another one. If the same problem comes up the second time then there is another issue I think.