Close

Thread: ABS on 85

Hybrid View

The article is at:
    http://www.corral.net/tech/handling/abs.html
    Fox 3 ABS Installation
    David Fincik

I used that article to do my install my ABS system.
    I love the ABS on my '86 Stang!
    I did the ABS install, when I installed the M2300K kit in my car. That was back in the 90's.

I'm not sure if the article mentions it or not. But, the wiring used must be twisted pair. I ended up ordering some, because I wanted a bigger gauge that Ethernet. And, I wanted something better than POS phone wiring twisted wires.
    I forget the impedance I got. Imho, anything between 75-ohms and 100-ohms should work fine in the car.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post
    The article is at:
    http://www.corral.net/tech/handling/abs.html
    Fox 3 ABS Installation
    David Fincik
    Yup, that's the same info I used (although at the time it was on someone's personal site rather than Corral).

Quote Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post
    I'm not sure if the article mentions it or not. But, the wiring used must be twisted pair. I ended up ordering some, because I wanted a bigger gauge that Ethernet. And, I wanted something better than POS phone wiring twisted wires.
    I forget the impedance I got. Imho, anything between 75-ohms and 100-ohms should work fine in the car.
    Do you recall what gauge wiring you elected to use? I think that's perhaps why mine wouldn't function, because I just used speaker wire (not twisted) that I had handy to wire up the wheel speed sensors. It wasn't until years later that I learned that I should've used twisted pair, so that's when I pulled all the wiring. It's entirely possible something else was screwed up in my wiring, too, so I don't know if it was solely the lack of twisted pair wiring that was the problem.

Another important note for someone just considering getting into this is that you need to use the longer SN95 axles, because you have to have room for the ABS tone rings. Obviously that's something you need to keep in mind when it comes to wheel fitment. I suppose it would be possible to rig something up to use Fox length axles, but that would have to be all custom; can't say I've ever seen anyone do that.