Close

Thread: ABS on 85

Default ABS on 85

Is it possible to run abs on an 85? I starting thinking about this after I picked up the sn95 spindles with the abs ring. Do racers use abs?

Wow - now that's crazy talk. :^)

Actually kidding and hoping for a few chuckles. It's not a bad idea. I've just never seen it tried before.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Google for "ABS on Fox Mustang" and you'll find some good information. Quite a few folks that race or just do track events in their Mustangs have added ABS - locking up the brakes will flat-spot a tire (or multiple tires), which can pretty quickly ruin tires that aren't cheap.

I installed ABS on my '89 years ago, but, uh... have never gotten it functional . The car doesn't get driven much, so my motivation to troubleshoot and fix the issue waned. A couple years ago I pulled all the wiring with the intention of starting over, and haven't touched it since. One of these days...

The article is at:
    http://www.corral.net/tech/handling/abs.html
    Fox 3 ABS Installation
    David Fincik

I used that article to do my install my ABS system.
    I love the ABS on my '86 Stang!
    I did the ABS install, when I installed the M2300K kit in my car. That was back in the 90's.

I'm not sure if the article mentions it or not. But, the wiring used must be twisted pair. I ended up ordering some, because I wanted a bigger gauge that Ethernet. And, I wanted something better than POS phone wiring twisted wires.
    I forget the impedance I got. Imho, anything between 75-ohms and 100-ohms should work fine in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post
    The article is at:
    http://www.corral.net/tech/handling/abs.html
    Fox 3 ABS Installation
    David Fincik
    Yup, that's the same info I used (although at the time it was on someone's personal site rather than Corral).

Quote Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post
    I'm not sure if the article mentions it or not. But, the wiring used must be twisted pair. I ended up ordering some, because I wanted a bigger gauge that Ethernet. And, I wanted something better than POS phone wiring twisted wires.
    I forget the impedance I got. Imho, anything between 75-ohms and 100-ohms should work fine in the car.
    Do you recall what gauge wiring you elected to use? I think that's perhaps why mine wouldn't function, because I just used speaker wire (not twisted) that I had handy to wire up the wheel speed sensors. It wasn't until years later that I learned that I should've used twisted pair, so that's when I pulled all the wiring. It's entirely possible something else was screwed up in my wiring, too, so I don't know if it was solely the lack of twisted pair wiring that was the problem.

Another important note for someone just considering getting into this is that you need to use the longer SN95 axles, because you have to have room for the ABS tone rings. Obviously that's something you need to keep in mind when it comes to wheel fitment. I suppose it would be possible to rig something up to use Fox length axles, but that would have to be all custom; can't say I've ever seen anyone do that.

It figures, the cable I used is now obsolete. Oh well, iirc, I paid $150-$200 back in the 90's for the roll.
    My guess is that any decent 20-16 ga twisted pair wire would work.

From checking on Digikey and Belden (I used Belden cable, and I suggest Belden cable), I came up with:

I used something similar to this:

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...100-ND/7006994
    Digi-Key Part Number BEL1120-100-ND
    Quantity Available: 20
    Manufacturer: Belden Inc.
    Manufacturer Part Number: 8762 060100
    Description: CABLE 2COND 20AWG CHROME 100'
    Detailed Description: 2 (1 Pair Twisted) Conductor Multi-Conductor Cable Chrome 20 AWG Foil 100.0' (30.5m)
    Cost: $142.18 + Shipping and tax

Imho, the following should also work fine.
    But, it doesn't look like it's a stock item. So, I don't know if if Digikey will have it in stock in the future.
    https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...100-ND/7042009
    Digi-Key Part Number BEL1276-100-ND
    Quantity Available 2
    Manufacturer: Belden Inc.
    Manufacturer Part Number: 5401FE 008500
    Description CABLE 3COND 20AWG GRAY 100'
    3 Conductor Multi-Conductor Cable Gray 20 AWG Foil 100.0' (30.5m)
    Cost: $38.10 + Shipping

It looks like Newark has the 500ft reel as a stock item:

http://www.newark.com/belden/5401fe-...ble/dp/19C3997
    BELDEN 5401FE 008500
    Manufacturer: BELDEN
    Manufacturer Part No: 5401FE 008500
    Newark Part No.: 19C3997
    No. of Conductors: 3Conductor
    Wire Gauge: 20AWG
    Jacket Material: PVC
    Reel Length (Imperial): 500ft
    No. of Max Strands x Strand Size: 7 x 28AWG
    Jacket Color: Grey
    Product Range:
    The 5401FE 008500 is a 152m 3-core grey Shielded Cable for use with the security and commercial audio cables. It has stranded bare copper conductors with polyolefin insulation, Beldfoil® shield and PVC jacket with ripcord.

0.55777µH/m Nominal inductance
    -20 to 75˚C Operating temperature range
    208.621N Maximum pulling tension
    Applications
    Industrial, Commercial, Audio, Security
    Price for: Spool of 500
    Price: $94.81 + Shipping

Thanks for the links. One more thing to add to the list of car projects!