Close

Default MSD Distributor Question

I got myself into a bit of a situation, in that I got a bunch of Fox Body stuff from a guy... including an MSD 8582 Billet Distributor, MSD Digital 6 6520 electronic ignition module, MSD Wires, and a Blaster 2 Coil. I assumed that it all would work on my 302, and I guess it would be fine if I was staying carbureted. Instead, I am going EFI.

So, before I realized that they make an MSD with an EFT module in it, I sent my MSD distributor in to get a new steel gear pressed on (to work with my roller camshaft).

My question is.... should I continue down this path, using the MSD 8582 and the Digital 6, or should I sell the stuff and get an MSD 8456 EFI Distributor that could plug into the 1986 harness that I'll be swapping in, and run with a standard MSD 6AL (or even could stick with the Digital 6)?

I think I can get the 8582 distributor to work by wiring it in, just curious if there were any other reasons to be using the EFI MSD distributor?

Thanks in advance.

I run that same setup but carbed so not sure about efi. It allows me to lock the dist. out at 34* and still start it. Make 100% sure a steel gear will work with your cam. Lots of problems with those eating camshafts.

Yea, this is the gear: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-85833

Its specifically for the roller camshafts. Of course, I just sent it all in to have MSD do the installation, but I didn't even think to ask them if they thought it would work well for my application.... I should have put 2 and 2 together when I had to actually swap the gear to make it work with a roller camshaft.

At this point I can just have them ship it back to me and not install the gear, and work towards getting a different distributor, just curious what others would do in the same situation.

Get the right setup for EFI. Just my $0.02.

A dizzy with the roller gear setup for a carb has value for sure, just not with a stock type EFI setup.

Well, I reluctantly agree (its important to get it right, I am just being lazy, as I seem to have had to undo and redo a bunch of things through this project).... I'll contact MSD tomorrow just to see what they think, and probably just cancel the labor for them to swap the gear and sell the dizzy.

So, I got such a good deal on the MSD setup, and it was unexpected, so I never really did any specific research into which setup I should run with EFI. If I am looking to sell at the least the distributor, it may be a good time to evaluate the whole ignition setup. I've run Mallory Unilite in other vehicles, and Pertonix here and there... have heard good things about MSD, but really only have run their 6A boxes.

Any experiences with the MSD Digital 6? If it seems as good as MSD claims, maybe I'll keep it, and look for options with the Dizzy... is the MSD TFI a decent distributor?

erratic, if you are running EFI, what are you running?

I've always ran mostly factory stuff on my cars. Replace the limiting factors and leave the rest.

65MM throttle body (converted explorer unit), 70MM cobra MAF, Typhoon EFI, E6 heads, A9L, 19# injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 1 5/8" equal shorty headers, etc. im still running a very old speed density friendly HO cam Ford released in 87 and stopped in 89 that my VM1 SD ECU loved. Can't say the A9L is as big of a fan as I know the conversion cost me some peak horsepower but it runs way better than it should for what it is. And all the damn miles.

If I were running at the track frequently I'd upgrade ignition systems for sure if not entire EFI setup.

Ive helped swap a few cars over to the "good stuff" ignition over the years. They made a few more ponies worth and ran smoother but not so much that I felt it justified the expense vs less extreme actions. And frequently they left their owner sit a time or two.

I am a fan of either testing or upgrading the coil then replacing the wearables routinely and using good plugs. Mine turns more R's than it should for what it's worth. Also it usually doesn't leave me sitting.

Stuff like boost and high compression, etc, are where high end ignition stuff becomes mandatory. Otherwise, you may be wasting your money if you don't stop and say good enough.
    Last edited by erratic50; 07-17-2017 at 01:15 AM.

Very true and excellent points... in my case, I started with nothing, as the guy I bought the car from was on his way to an LS swap, so all of the engine stuff was gone. So, rather than buying a factory dizzy with unknown miles, I just figured a good new product would be worth looking into. ITs not so much for performance, as it is knowing what is good, versus taking someones word, and potentially ending up with a headache. You take that chance to some extent with a lot of what you buy, but you do the best you can to control variables.

A remanufactured factory dizzy from a reputable supplier is a route that's inexpensive and will work well to boot.

With the aftermarket stuff frequently you have to work with it (lots of messing around sometimes) to get your advance curve where you want it, etc.

After a talk with MSD, the 8582 wouldn't work with any kind of wiring magic.... I need a distributor with the Ford style module in order to be compatible (just like you mentioned erratic50). Lesson learned.... I must have made the ignition choice back when I was still thinking of running a carburetor, and after deciding to do EFI, I never gave it another thought. Oh well.... I guess I have a brand new MSD 8582 Distributor for sale

On a different note, I found an MSD 8456, which looks to be the correct dizzy, but I have seen a couple people swap out the MSD module for a factory ford module (on the side of the dizzy). I have been searching for feedback on the modules, and even though I see some complaints, the majority of users seem very happy with the MSD module. Just curious if others have had similar experience, or found the Ford modules to be more dependable.

I have another question about the TFI Ignition in the 1986 and up EFI cars. If I am running an MSD TFI distributor, an MSD Digital 6/6AL, will I still need to run the standard Duraspark module that mounts to the inner fender/shock tower? I was hoping to be able to simplify some of the components from the engine compartment, but may not be able to eliminate the Duraspark module.

Edit - So, after a little more research, it looks like the TFI and Duraspark modules are mutually exclusive. So, it sounds like if I am running the TFI system that the EFI cars used, the only module is the one in the distributor. So, that should simplify the engine compartment a bit.

Let me know if it sounds like I am understanding the two systems correctly.
    Last edited by vdubn; 07-21-2017 at 12:47 AM.

I would sell the MSD parts
    Stock Ford ignition parts in my opinion outperform most aftermarket parts unless you start approaching 400-500 hp or using a power adder
    In particular, MSD distributors and boxes that have been made in the past few years are known to fail prematurely