Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Roller Rockers to Run (aka, how to avoid running a Cowl Hood)

As most of you know, if we are running an EFI engine, and we run Aluminum Roller rockers, it usually requires us to run tall valve covers, which requires at least a 1/2" spacer, which typically results in hood clearance issues that result in running a cowl hood. I am trying to avoid this cascading of events.

So, in talking with some friends, it was recommended that a way to avoid this would be to run either Stainless or Chromoly roller rockers, which have smaller bodies, and allow me to use either a stock or lower profile valve cover, thus hopefully avoiding the spacer/cowl hood issue.

So, in my search, I found Crower and Comp chromoly roller rockers for about $600 for a set of 16, which is more than I would like to pay, especially considering this is really just a street car, not looking for any racing, etc. Well, I also came across a set of PRW Stainless Roller Rockers that Anderson sells for about $260, which is more inline with my budget. I would be running these on some Edelbrock aluminum heads with 7/16" rocker studs, with the TrickFlow Stage 1 cam. Here is a link to the arms:

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.co...tio-7-16-stud/

I have been told that Anderson Motorsports is reputable, but I have no direct knowledge, so I was curious if anyone here had any advice either about the Rocker arms, and possibly about Anderson as well. I did some searching for more info on the PRW arms, but found the information to be all over the place.

Final question... my Camshaft is safe to run 1.7 rockers on, and my springs can handle up to .600 lift (I am way under that), so I wanted to see if running a 1.7 versus 1.6 ratio rockers was a good choice? The price appears to be the same between the two, so it seemed to me like extra breathing for the motor at no extra cost.

Thanks in advance...

FEP Super Member

I have stock valve covers , roller rockers , on Edelbrock heads and 7/16 studs, hardened push rods and guide plates .
    Still have the stock hood .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Super Member

Efi intake would hit hood before valve covers .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I've always just removed or clearanced the baffle in the stock valve cover. Works fine with all the aluminum body roller rockers I've tried.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    Efi intake would hit hood before valve covers .
    Yea, I meant that the clearance issue was between the intake and the hood, but if I had to run tall valve covers, the clearance issue would start between the VC and intake.

Awesome news that stock valve covers will clear. I didn't think they would. I have stock efi VC's so they should clear if I pull the baffles?

Quote Originally Posted by vdubn View Post
    Yea, I meant that the clearance issue was between the intake and the hood, but if I had to run tall valve covers, the clearance issue would start between the VC and intake.

Awesome news that stock valve covers will clear. I didn't think they would. I have stock efi VC's so they should clear if I pull the baffles?
    Check with clay or Play-doh and clearance as needed.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.

Thanks, that is great news! If I wanted to go with an aftermarket set of VC's, anyone know which ones will clear under the EFI intake? My intake is the Performer, so clearance should be comparable to the stock intake, right?

I am confused. All Cobras had rather cheap Crane large body cast roller rockers with the stamped steel valve covers and stock hoods. It's not that big a deal unless I am missing what you are asking. Just get a set of Thunderbird or '94-95 Mustang or Explorer valve covers and use whatever rocker you want.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Well, I think maybe I am the one who is confused I was told that stock or low profile valve covers interfered with most aftermarket aluminum rocker arms, so taller VC's were required, which results in the cascading of events. It doesn't sound like that is the case, at least in most situations. So, it sounds like I should be able to make most any standard height valve cover work, especially ones that have no baffling, or if they do, just remove the baffles... that sound right?

MY EFI VC cleared Scorpion RR with some clearancing. But that was with a Trickflow 170 head, which has a raised vc rail by .4 inches. Not sure if Edelbrock does the same. There's no way they would have cleared with the standard VC rail without some thicker gaskets or something. The non efi covers just need the baffles removed.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

I put comp 1.7 gold aluminum rockers (3/8 stud mount) and they were too big for the stock valve covers in my 88gt. I didn't mind, as I was going with a cowl hood anyway. But in my pace car (carbed 331) I used comp steel 1.6 stud mount rockers. Both sets of rockers appeared to be made well, but the steel ones seemed to be quite a bit smaller. I think the aluminum rockers just need to be bulkier to provide the needed strength. The steel rockers fit under my smaller "Ford Motorsport" valve covers with just a little massaging of the baffle. I also will be running some thicker gaskets, just for good measure.

Ok, so Broncojunkie and 4eyedfoxdriver are describing what I have heard more about. Maybe the difference is that when I said stock VC's, I was referencing the EFI ones, and homer32, you mentioned the stock stamped steel ones clearing. So, it sounds like I will either need some stock stamped steel covers, or I can get some aluminum aftermarket ones, as long as they aren't the tall covers (tall ones will interfere with the Edelbrock intake if you don't run a spacer... I am pretty sure).

Last edited by Mustang-junky; 07-13-2017 at 09:18 PM.
    Previously owned;

If you are really that concerned about it you could swap in convertible motor mounts, will drop the motor 1/2 to 3/4". Then use what ever rockers and valve cover spacers you want. Who knows, your mounts might need replacing anyway. About $25 each at Autozone. More than one way to skin a cat.

Jess
    Previously owned;

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    If you are really that concerned about it you could swap in convertible motor mounts, will drop the motor 1/2 to 3/4". Then use what ever rockers and valve cover spacers you want. Who knows, your mounts might need replacing anyway. About $25 each at Autozone. More than one way to skin a cat.

Jess
    I wish I could, but I am running a AJE suspension K-Member, and they sell special mounts for each engine option they offer (Windsor, Coyote, or heaven forbid..... LS)

So, I am stuck with teh motor mounts that work with their K-member,. I can call AJE and see if they have any options, but I doubt it. I appreciate the info though, as I didn't know that the convertible mounts were shorter.

Default Which Roller Rockers to Run (aka, how to avoid running a Cowl Hood)

I wish I could, but I am running a AJE suspension K-Member, and they sell special mounts for each engine option they offer (Windsor, Coyote, or heaven forbid..... LS)

So, I am stuck with teh motor mounts that work with their K-member,. I can call AJE and see if they have any options, but I doubt it. I appreciate the info though, as I didn't know that the convertible mounts were shorter.
    The AJE kmember mounts all engines lower.
    Last edited by never; 07-14-2017 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    Seriously? That would be awesome! The car came with the K-Member freshly installed, but no engine, and no engine mounts... guy was going to put an LS engine in it, so I didn't have mounts either. Almost have everything to do a test fit, so I will be excited to see how low the engine mounts.
    Last edited by vdubn; 07-14-2017 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    never, thanks much for the info, you were 100% correct. I called AJE today, and he said that they emulate the convertible motor mounts, by placing the engine mounts at the same height as the convertible GT cars. So, I should be able to run the taller VC's I want, and even run a spacer, and hopefully should still clear the hood.

never, thanks much for the info, you were 100% correct. I called AJE today, and he said that they emulate the convertible motor mounts, by placing the engine mounts at the same height as the convertible GT cars. So, I should be able to run the taller VC's I want, and even run a spacer, and hopefully should still clear the hood.
    No problem. I have AJEs in a couple of Foxes and can easily fit taller intakes than stock k-members

Nice... do you know if a 1" spacer will fit under the hood, or is 1/2" the most you can get away with? Hoping 1", as the ProForm Ford Racing covers probably would require a 1" intake spacer.

Wow - raise your hands if you knew convertible mounts drop the motor! Crickets - thought so. Very cool. Drops the center of gravity which is huge.

if the motor is dropped 1/2", does it also have a different crossmember mount that's shorter? If not, what drops the T5 ?

Im running a Typhoon EFI on my 86GT. Valve cover wise it looks like most tall covers or stock covers with spacers would fit under those fine. The intake just barely touches the stock hood though - so the idea of extra clearance sounds heavenly.

I wondered the same thing about the transmission, but figured that over the length of about 4 to 5 feet or so, front of motor mounts to the rear trans mount, 1" at the front would only make for a very slight angle throughout the drivetrain.... I just checked transmission mount part numbers (at least aftermarket mounts), and I found them to be the same between the convertible and the coupe/hatch. AJE didn't say anything about the trans mount when I spoke with them this week.... interesting.

I am running scorpions 1.6 rockers on 7/16 studs with afr 165 heads. I think they look cool and the price is not too bad. I would never run 1.7 as I figure that stresses the valvetrain. I thought that was for guys with not enough cam. Comp cams make great cams but I would not trust their rocker arms just because.

Nice... do you know if a 1" spacer will fit under the hood, or is 1/2" the most you can get away with? Hoping 1", as the ProForm Ford Racing covers probably would require a 1" intake spacer.
    I haven't done any measurement comparisons but I would bet a 1" spacer would clear. Before you buy anything, just make something to raise the upper by an inch...see if you have clearance.

To put things into perspective on hood clearance, a stock EFI intake is really a country mile from hitting the hood. You can install an entire intake both upper and lower without removing a triangulated strut tower brace like the old school ones from HP motor sports.In contrast the upper for the Typhoon EFI next to the stock upper is basically the same - very little difference. Meanwhile the Typhoon lower is less than 2" shorter than the stock base plus upper in its entirety. The lower just clears the HPM bar by enough to put the lower on, then you come to grips with the fact that the bar has to go and pull it off so the rest can go on.With stock hatchback 86 GT motor mounts a Typhoon just touches the stock hood under hard acceleration. But just barely.

Here are a few pictures.

My son's 86 ragtop (with the shorter convertible mounts of course) and a stock EFI intake and my old HPM brace

My 86GT hatchback with stock lower and HPM bar still in place.

My 86GT hatchback with the Typhoon lower and HPM bar in place.

My 86GT with the HPM bar removed and the typhoon upper installed.

If you zoom in on the typhoon upper you can see where it hits.

obviously convertible mounts would be a god sent with my current setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by erratic50; 07-17-2017 at 12:36 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast