Close

Default oil dipstick tube

Help! Broke dipstick tube swapping motors, anyone know where to get replacement? The 2 I've gotten thus far from Oreilly's are too short. My car is a November 84 built 85 GT, any help appreciated.

Is it about an inch short? It's kinda weird. When looking the tube up on Oreilly's site it says it's 20 inches, and then off to the right specifically says it should be 21 inches to fit that car. CJ Pony has them but don't list the length that I saw so I would want to email them, or anyone really online for the length before committing to the buy.
    '03 Explorer Limited
    '85 LX
    '85 Twister II
    '89 LX
    '98 v6
    '77 Mach 1.....and I still own them all.

Quote Originally Posted by jenJuka View Post
    Is it about an inch short? It's kinda weird. When looking the tube up on Oreilly's site it says it's 20 inches, and then off to the right specifically says it should be 21 inches to fit that car. CJ Pony has them but don't list the length that I saw so I would want to email them, or anyone really online for the length before committing to the buy.
    The first one was straight and too short, the second one has more curve but about an inch or 2 too short. Anyway I just ordered the chrome one from LMR after reading the reviews, hopefully it will be just right.

Made my replacement dip tube out of brake line tubing long ago.
    Found brake line tube od and id were same as factory tube.
    Engine is a 2.3 block boss type, so tube was a friction fit with a little sealer.
    Not concourse quality but it works fine no leaks.

Cut off new tube flared ends.
    Use old tube as prototype for measurements.
    Measure and bend accurately as possible so stick oil level marks will be close to or will be correct.
    Add any braces, brackets.
    Only prob was the old tube bolt brace was spot welded; no reuse.
    Found a j end type tab fastener, modded it with a bolt hole, and clipped it to the new tube.
    The type of clip that holds tubing, rods, cables, to something.

At oil fill time, the dipstick will reveal the true full and low mark calibration.

Go to a wrecker. Most aftermarket for parts like that is wrong 90% of the time.