It's been a while since I've been on. For the most part I've just been keeping things alive with no real progress on any of my projects. Well, yesterday my DD ('98 mustang v6) took a large step back in staying alive. Believe I blew a head gasket out as I was on the interstate. Saw the temp start to rise which isn't like her at all and attempted to limp her to my uncle's house but she got too hot too fast thanks to the extreme heat wave we are in. She started to clack at about halfway up the gauge and I got her over but she still smoked out the hood and then refused to restart for a bit. She begrudgingly started to crawl up on the trailer. My uncle trailered her home and after an hour of sitting on the trailer for the ride she did restart just fine, but she's definitely hurt. I'm trying to figure out my next move. Obviously I have to pull the motor, she has a rear main going out and the trans needs a new torque converter. My worry is the heads. She did get hot but I have no clue how tough the heads are on the 3.8s. What is the likelihood that they are warped even if they aren't cracked? I've never rebuilt one this new so I'm not sure how much machining they will really take without making them less reliable or completely killing their gas mileage. She has 229k miles on her so it was time for a refresh anyway. Not exactly how I wanted to get pushed into doing it though.

I thought about just sending her into a shop and letting them do it but the $5k price tag to rebuild the motor and trans is probably more than she is worth in strict numbers. I've had her for 8 years though so I'm not going to give up on her now.