Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1979 5.0L Ghia Notchback auto 20,000 original miles

Selling a 1979 5.0L Ghia Coupe - My grandmother bought this car new and it only has 22,000 original miles (35,000kms) on it. It's never been hit, never seen snow. Still has all original paint, original black vinyl top with pop... up sunroof. All of the mechanicals are original right down to belts and hoses. The car still runs and drives like a brand new car. The only non original part is that my dad put a stainless exhaust on it because the original rotted out from sitting so long. Still the original spare tire in the trunk too. The first picture is of me standing in front of the car in 1979. Unfortunately a rat got inside it a couple of years ago and damaged what was a MINT red leather interior. The insurance company wrote the car off so it now has a rebuilt title, but they also wrote a letter to state that the only damage was cosmetic to the interior.
    As it stands, we just don't have room to keep it anymore. The car is in Victoria BC and has been it's whole life. Asking $6,500 USD ($8,500 CAD)

I just uploaded a 9 minute long video to YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuwxvLAS3U&feature=share

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  98.2 KBName:  002.JPG
Views: 1069
Size:  160.4 KBName:  003.JPG
Views: 1064
Size:  167.7 KBName:  004.JPG
Views: 1056
Size:  155.4 KBName:  005.JPG
Views: 1060
Size:  139.6 KB
    Last edited by 05PW; 10-28-2017 at 12:45 AM.

I would be interested in seeing the door tag and buck tag for this vinyl roof Ghia coupe.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

I guess this'll make me look pretty stupid, but what's a "buck tag"?

I had one like this but in silver. Was a very good running car back in 87.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 05PW View Post
    I guess this'll make me look pretty stupid, but what's a "buck tag"?
    The buck tag is the small metal plate with numbers on it screwed to the front of the upper radiator support.

Nice car ! Love the black with red interior combo, it looks so sharp.

That's a damn shame about the interior damage
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    That's a damn shame about the interior damage
    Agreed. It would be several pieces to replace and the leather as well. The insurance money was not used to fix all the damage obviously, the salvage title hurts the value quite a bit. Cannot tell the quality of the paint from the pictures, no undercarriage pictures, hard to come to a value determination. It is sharp colors though.

Salvage titles are almost impossible to re certify here in Canada, so best of luck. Especially in bc (where I'm from originally)

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

I think in the US, the Salvage Title and the reason for it will hurt the value less than all the parts and work needed to get the interior back to 20k original mile condition. BUT...definitely worth being salvaged rather than scrapped, and somebody will want it and not be afraid of the interior work.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

[QUOTE=BTD;1852608]Salvage titles are almost impossible to re certify here in Canada, so best of luck. Especially in bc (where I'm from originally)

The car has been re-registered in BC. It was really simple - ICBC made it really easy since there was absolutely no structural or mechanical damage. I think he just had to have a vehicle inspection and they did the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Marathon06 View Post
    Agreed. It would be several pieces to replace and the leather as well. The insurance money was not used to fix all the damage obviously, the salvage title hurts the value quite a bit. Cannot tell the quality of the paint from the pictures, no undercarriage pictures, hard to come to a value determination. It is sharp colors though.
    Here's a youtube video I took of the car two days ago - it shows everything pretty well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuwxvLAS3U&feature=share

Yep, that one was made at SJ plant. Now I really want to see the buck tag!
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Beautiful car. One question for the experts. The spare tire placement, is that how it came from the factory? I though it would sit with the inside up with the jack showing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jlehma13 View Post
    Beautiful car. One question for the experts. The spare tire placement, is that how it came from the factory? I though it would sit with the inside up with the jack showing.
    I can't guarantee it, but there's a 99% chance that the spare has never been out of the car. It's definitely original to the car. The car hasn't been detailed at all, so nobody's had it out for cleaning or anything.

I am very interested in your car. Could you pm me so I can get your info. Thanks. I also noticed that the car in fact was painted at some point. The door striker has black paint on it and the screws that hold the door latch has paint on it as well.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Blainer; 07-15-2017 at 01:35 AM.
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

Message sent.

-Currently Searching for "The One"

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    I am very interested in your car. Could you pm me so I can get your info. Thanks. I also noticed that the car in fact was painted at some point. The door striker has black paint on it and the screws that hold the door latch has paint on it as well.

She drove the car to her job at Sears for the first 10 years or so (literally a few blocks from her house). Apparently it had a few door chips and she had a piece of the door painted - I thought it looked like there was dust in the paint in the door jamb when I was taking the photos. I'll find out how much was painted - I would have been just a kid, but I seem to remember them just painting from the pinstripe to the body moulding maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    I emailed my dad for clarification on what was repainted in the car, this was his reply;

The driver's front fender was painted as Grandma scuffed the side of the garage door opening and the passenger door was repainted due to door dings, neither panel was damaged in an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Marathon06 View Post
    I just thought I should mention in response to this comment, when they wrote the car off, they offer a cash settlement. The car had too much sentimental value to see it get sent to a scrap yard, so my dad opted to keep the car instead of taking the cash settlement. They may have given him some cash, but it would be virtually nothing based on the blue book value of the car. When the cost to repair the damage is worth more than 50% of the car, they won't let you keep the car AND pay for the damage.

New User

Is this car still available? I currently own a 79 Ghia coup with a near mint red interior but my body has seen better days.

Hi, yes the car is still available. It's back in storage, but is pretty easy to access. I'd love to see pics of your interior if you have any

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast