Close

Default Please don't laugh, but...

What's the proper starting procedure for a carbed V-6?

No wisecracks, just useful information please. It's been over 20 years since I drove a carbed car, so I'm way out practice. There's that worry about flooding the carburetor, but you also don't want to feel like an idiot making multiple attempts at the same time.

Feeling stupid...
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

FEP Super Member

I press the gas pedal to the floor , sets the fast idle and choke .
    Press on more time about a half to the floor , and turn the key to start.
    Not often , but sometimes when it is cold out , i might have to do it twice .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    I press the gas pedal to the floor , sets the fast idle and choke .
    Press on more time about a half to the floor , and turn the key to start.
    Not often , but sometimes when it is cold out , i might have to do it twice .
    Thanks, that's helpful. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
    Bryan

I just give mine two pumps the first time I drive it for the day, starts right up. The rest of the day it fires as soon as I hit the key.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

Turn key to on position, exit vehicle, wave hands wildly above your head for 30 seconds, walk backwards around the car, get back in the car and pray......

Hope this helps.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

My carbed 3.8 fires right up with no weird quirks.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    My carbed 3.8 fires right up with no weird quirks.
    I didn't say that there were any quirks. I said that I haven't driven a carbed car for over 20 years. Starting EFI cars just requires turning a key, which is what I'm used to.
    Bryan

Thanks for that. You're always very helpful. I appreciate it.
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    I didn't say that there were any quirks. I said that I haven't driven a carbed car for over 20 years. Starting EFI cars just requires turning a key, which is what I'm used to.
    Having only owned fuel injected cars and my 83 3.8 being my first carbed, it seems to just fire right up. I dont pump the gas or anything, it just starts. My owners manual says to only pump the gas during winter starting. We will see how that goes.
    1 1987 cougar

With correct choke and fast idle function, and correct warmed up idle mixture and speed adjustments... cold, one pump, turn the key... semi-warm, depress accelerator about 1/4", turn the key... fully warmed up, do nothing but turn the key. Winter cold, 2 pumps, turn the key. Any mysterious ability to just ever just turn the key and away she goes prior to being warmed up, like with fuel injection, indicates a clogged air filter, a stuck shut in cold mode choke, float level too high, mixture screws too far out... AKA pig rich at operating temperature.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 07-14-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Ah, my bad. I thought 25mpg for a carbed v-6 was good, but ive only ran a tank or two through it. I always figured the automatic choke was to warm it up faster and make it start easier, but i guess i have no idea what im talking about.
    1 1987 cougar

I found this video for a '67 Mustang, but the process doesn't seem to have changed when compared to the '83.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Qx_Dl139pvY
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    Ah, my bad. I thought 25mpg for a carbed v-6 was good, but ive only ran a tank or two through it. I always figured the automatic choke was to warm it up faster and make it start easier, but i guess i have no idea what im talking about.
    25 US mpg is average, and surprising, if the cold start up with just the key procedure is accurate. Your figuring is correct, but how do you suppose an "automatic" choke's cold-start function gets initiated? It's not initiated with the key, it's initiated with the gas pedal. So, if you're honestly able to simply twist the key when cold and away she goes without touching the accelerator, there is something wrong, in the ways I listed above... I'll add a potential blocked idle air bleed or passage to the list.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Floor it once, let off. 2nd pump and let off then hit the key. If it doesn't like two full pumps try 1 1/2.

Floor it once, let off. 2nd pump and let off then hit the key. If it doesn't like two full pumps try 1 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    What's the proper starting procedure for a carbed V-6?

No wisecracks, just useful information please. It's been over 20 years since I drove a carbed car, so I'm way out practice. There's that worry about flooding the carburetor, but you also don't want to feel like an idiot making multiple attempts at the same time.

Feeling stupid...
    I didnt laugh but I had to smile.... it was the same for me when I bought my coupe last year. Yep years of just turning the key and the engine fires... brilliant! The first time in my coupe and I had to sit there and try and remember the starting procedure.... sunny evening.... the view goes all swirly... strange music... and I was transported back to the 70's ah yes pump the gas pedal, say a prayer to the god of ignition parts and off she goes! Proper driving when we had proper mechanical cars
    People who say it cannot be done should not get in the way of the people doing it!

1979 Mustang 2.8V6
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 limited

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    This is exactly how the last few carbed cars I have had worked. Not saying it is correct for a factory setup, but it has always worked for me.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Well, I gave it a try over the weekend... Turned the key on, pumped the pedal 3 times and then turned the key to the start position. Same result...turns confidently, but does not start right off. I gave it a couple of attempts, but then tried pushing the pedal halfway down while starting. It worked, but ran a touch rough for a few seconds and then smoothed out. High idle when cold runs about 2K, but won't kick down until warm.. I went back out about twenty minutes later and it started right up.

My thought is this...the car is 34 years old with only 26,000 miles, but the components are as old as the car. I'm sort of thinking a tune-up and carb adjustment is in order. I've got all the parts and in was going to take it in to have the oil & filter changed and the fluids checked, so I might as well let them tune it as well. I'll bet it will run and start much better after this.
    Bryan

One pump likely would have done it. Pushing half way down afterward let in sufficiently more air to mix with the bit too much extra fuel, and got 'er going.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo