Close

Default 84 Mustang sputtering and dying

Predator # 4S102 is not running correctly. Everything is stock and all emissions are present on the car. I had the carburator rebuilt in the fall and the car was running fine. Took it out for a long drive and it started to sputter at 45 - 50 MPH. The more gas I gave it, the slower it got and would not rev. If I came to a complete stop, I could rev it and take off just fine but as soon as I got to 45 - 50 again same problem. I have replaced the coil and duraspark and this did not help. The fuel pump was replaced when I did the carb. All fuel lines are new. I spoke with the carburator shop and they gave me a couple of things to try, removing the gas cap to see if it is a venting issue, also pulling the large hose off the front of the carb as it has been kinked. These things also did not help, in fact, now the car will only move at idle and if I give it gas it will die. So it is to the point now where I cant even take it for a test drive for fear of having to leave it on the side of the road. The carb shop also said that the sock in the tank could be pulled into the gas line, cat could be plugged although it was not glowing red when I got it home. Any suggestions?
    1984 Predator GT302 #4S0102 - Complete rotisserie and put back to stock
    1979 Pace Car - 306, H/C/I, T5, 8.8, 3.73 - 288 RWHP
    1993 GT Vert - PROCHARGER P1SC, H/C/I, Built AODE, 3.73 - 421RWHP / 405 RWTQ - SOLD

I didn't read anything about the fuel filter in your post. Is it clear? Also I see where the fuel pump is new. That has nothing to do with whether or not it is working though. Have you removed the line and verified that it is working?
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I didn't read anything about the fuel filter in your post. Is it clear? Also I see where the fuel pump is new. That has nothing to do with whether or not it is working though. Have you removed the line and verified that it is working?
    That was my first guess as well...fuel filter.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Assuming that this has the mechanical fuel pump, the only filters on it should be the "sock" in the tank and the one on the inlet line going into the carb. I have had that hard bronze "filter" in the inlet of the carb plug up pretty solid with crap before, effectively making the car run like crap anything off idle. In fact, it didn't take much crap to plug it period....
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 07-11-2017 at 01:16 PM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

The hard brinze filter was changed when the carb was rebuilt. Literally only 250 miles or so on this car since then
    1984 Predator GT302 #4S0102 - Complete rotisserie and put back to stock
    1979 Pace Car - 306, H/C/I, T5, 8.8, 3.73 - 288 RWHP
    1993 GT Vert - PROCHARGER P1SC, H/C/I, Built AODE, 3.73 - 421RWHP / 405 RWTQ - SOLD

I would still check it and then I would agree with Homer in checking the fuel pump to verify operation, even if it is new. It almost sounds like it is in fact a fuel delivery problem at this time.....at least to me it does.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?