Close

Default Which Cars Came with Split VS Solid Rear Seat Back in 1985 GT and 1984 Capri RS

My 1985 GT Hatchback came with the rear fold down seat removed, and the rear seat that came with it is a solid backed fold down seat, so I figured that is what came with the car. I just parted out an 84 Capri RS, and it also had a solid backed rear fold down seat that was mounted factory in the car. Both cars were T-Top cars, so I wondered if maybe that made some difference.

So, every picture I have seen of 1985 GT Hatchbacks shows a split fold down rear seat setup, and all of the upholstery kits show that the GT came with a split rear seat back.

Can anyone explain if a solid rear fold down seat was an option, or should my car have come with the split rear seat back?

Thanks...

Mid 1984 and later hatchback had a split rear seat
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

My early 84 GT Hatch (10/83 build) has the split fold down rear seat. Being such an odd color (desert tan) I would imagine mine is original to the car.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Agree with Brock. AFAIK all 84 and up hatchbacks have 50/50 split rear seat.

I didn't spend a ton of time looking at any Mustangs older or newer than 1986 when I bought mine but I did drive several 83 and 84+ Capri and Mustang examples.

Strange.... so wierd that the 1984 Capri RS hatchback had the solid rear seat, and the solid rear seat that came "with" my 1985 is probably not the original to the car. I will look at the floor pan under the rear seat, and see if there are mount holes in the center... that should tell me if the car came with the split rear seat.

FEP Power Member

It was also probably a use up item and if you got a color not ordered often of too many in stock, it could have run into 84. 84 svo were split rear seat as well.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Ok so...shifting gears a bit. I may know why I have a solid rear seat. My car has torque box reinforcements welded in, and even though I see the mount for the center brackets, I'm wondering if I'll be able to get either rear seats to mount with the torque boxes there. Here are a couple pics.

Name:  20170711_231128.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  80.8 KB

Name:  Message_1495515403176.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  101.4 KB

Is it possible the previous owner figured a solid backed rear seat would clear the torque box reinforcements?

I had an early 84 with the solid rear. interior was tan. the interior was original to the car. the later 84 cars switched to the split rear.

That looks like a mess there. Should be able to reinforce the upper and lower without such clearance challenges when done.

On a positive note your original floor metal is there and the surrounding metal has a chance of being healthy. Way more than I can say for my 86. Going to cost a fortune to get mine back to nice condition....

I'm not familiar with the torque box reinforcement to know if they did a clean or messy job, but others have said its typical when welding in the additional support. I picked up a rear seat this weekend, so I will test fit it and check for clearance issues. Most places I've read say that the seat should fit, but I don't have the two metal backing plates to check if they will hit anything. I need to find a good used set of those.