Close

Default New best in the GTBIRD!

Spent the weekend down at Norwalk and ran the Bird in True Street class on sat and did brackets on Sunday. Had a great weekend and the car was awesome! My previous best on slicks was a 12.40 @ 110 so I had to switch to a MT ET Street R tire to keep legal for True Street class and boy do I like these tires. I launched the car at only 3500 and she ate it up even with a hint of clutch slip. I had my new Snow meth kit on but something still isnt right with it cuz it went pig rich and only ran a 12.75 @ 105 in the morning time trials.

I turned the Snow kit off and let it rip anyway. Car responded by dipping right into the 12.teens at 114mph on mid 1.60 60ft times. I added a touch more fuel and 1* of timing up top and was rewarded with my best pass so far.

Next pass the clutch slipped bad on the 3-4 shift and it slowed to a 12.15 @ 113 and I got beat so my race was done. Left with a huge smile anyway!

I cant believe how this car is coming around. Never would have thought a 98% stock Explorer motor with only 3.55 gears and a single exhaust would be trapping 115mph at 3600lbs!

If I can get this meth kit to work right I see no problem running in the 11s solid with a car I can jump in and drive over 400 miles a week to work in. My goal is so close I can smell it!

Waiting to get vids off my GF phone to post up too.
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...83-Tbird-build

FEP Member

Nice!

Congrats!!!

Dude major props!! With what little mods you have done to it you have that red bird hauling ass!! You'll be clocking 11's in no time. Keep up the good progress

Nice!
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

Sounds like you're having a blast! Nice times! How did you like the surface at Norwalk compared to Milan?

Cale

sadly there is no comparing the two places. Norwalk is better in every way.
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t

How is the top end of the track at Milan? I remember it bouncing me around pretty good back in 2010, and my car only wanted to run 14.1s at that time. I hear you can actually drive a car down Plank road these days.

Cale

All the surrounding roads near the track have been repaved and are better than anything paved inside the tracks gates. My car did 112mph last trip to Milan and the top end was good enough that nothing sticks in my mind.
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t

Congrats on the 12.09 slip. My guess is with steeper rear gears 11's are within reach. Or possibly even steeper gears with higher launch RPM and hard clutch leaving in 2nd. Might shave a few hundredths off by avoiding a shift.

Sufficient to say your bird is quicker than a ton of cars on the road.

Awesome tbird. Looks great and moves good as well.

Im only crossing the finish line at 5200 in 4th gear and that only puts the blower at 7psi so Im leaving some power and ET on the table for sure with these 3.55 gears. But it is what it is since I drive way to many miles on the expressway to justify stepping up to a 3.73 or 4.10 gear.

Im hoping if I can get this Snow kit figured out that will give me that last little bit of power I need or Im fairly sure come fall with some 20* cooler temps it will run 11s pretty easy.
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t

Head to Florida this winter. Cool and humid air at sea level is great for making big power.

Well another race weekend in the books!

To back up a bit....I blew up the T5 in the car the week after this last event at Norwalk. Last weekend I put a G-Force T5 in the car with the 26 spline input and 2.94 1st gear with a 3.73 rear gear to help with the taller 1 st gear but by last Thursday I really didnt like the 373 gear with the G-Force t5. First gear was still to tall and 5th was useless around town. It cruised 2200 rpm at 80mph and 45mph was 1000! I ened up putting a 3.90 gear in on thursday and it felt much better.

Sooo, Norwalk Ohio NMCA True Street on Sat morn.......Somehow by 10am they were running 4hrs behind schedule. TS was to get a time trial at 10am but we didnt get our first run until 2pm. Made for a very aggravating day because I felt like I had to hang around my pit area in fear Id miss our call if I wandered off to other parts of the track and didnt make it to staging in time.
    When they called us up at 2 I grabbed my laptop and got in the lanes. I turned on datalogging and made my first pass. Did my normal 3000 rpm launch and the car dead hooked and fell on its face. After it recovered it felt lazy and I knew the run was slow. It ran a 1.82 12.82@108. After I checked the log it clearly showed blower belt slipping again. It peaked at 7psi at top of first gear then after that never went above 5.2psi rest of the run. Quick check under hood showed the belt was very loose from stretch and from my Carbinite coated pulley chewing up the belt. With no extra belt on me and no time to go buy a new one I just tightened the hell out of it and got in line for the TS cruise.

We did the 30 mile cruise without issue and got in line for first pass. Didnt know what to except on my first run so I left at 2500 slipping the clutch just a bit and it ran a 1.70 12.14@116 BAM, new best mph!

Second pass the guy i was racing screwed up my routine by taking like a full minute just to go from pre-stage to full staged. I was holding car at 3000rpm for what felt like forever when I let off the gas to look over to see wtf he was waiting for when he finally bumped in and tree came down before I collected myself again and I ended up dumping the clutch at like 2000rpm and car bogged and almost stalled out. Run was only a 12.50@113. Right there killed my shot at winning the 12.00 class.

Final run was after waiting an hour for an oil down so car cooled off pretty good. I left at 3000 nice and easy and pulled a 1.61 12.07@115.3 Not the 11 I wanted but still a new best ET. I think my 5800 shifting is what held it back this time.

I stayed for Sunday bracket race to see if I could squeeze that 11 out of it but it wasnt meant to be. Since you cant have laptops in the vehicle during TS i wasnt able to get any data from the previous 3 runs so I plugged in for my first run Sunday. I tried a 3500 launch and it dead hooked and fell on its face! Rest of the run felt down on power and it only ran a 12.62@112. Looking at the log it showed belt slip again with only 4psi in first 3 gears and it peaked at 8psi for a split sec in 4th before dropping again. I checked the belt and its chewed up good now so I called it a day and packed up.

Im going to add some Strange 10 way adjustables in place of my KYB's and hook up my Launch Control in the Microsquirt to fine tune my launch technique. I still havent tried using my Snow meth kit again yet so I have that to play with as well. I have two more track days coming up on the 14th and the 30th
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t

FEP Member

Sounds like a fun day at the track. If the only casualty is a belt that's not too bad. Always a challenge to keep your cool when another driver holds you in the stage, or worse, double bulbs you. Good luck on that 11 second slip!

I'll be running my Mercedes Labor Day weekend and if I get enough work done on the Fairmont this winter it will be the last track days for the Mercedes as the Fairmont will become the track dog. Hoping for a PB this year too, need a 10.68 to move up to the #2 slot on Drag Times. Think I may have found the .05 seconds this summer.

May you always have good air and a sticky track!