Close

Default New best in the GTBIRD!

Spent the weekend down at Norwalk and ran the Bird in True Street class on sat and did brackets on Sunday. Had a great weekend and the car was awesome! My previous best on slicks was a 12.40 @ 110 so I had to switch to a MT ET Street R tire to keep legal for True Street class and boy do I like these tires. I launched the car at only 3500 and she ate it up even with a hint of clutch slip. I had my new Snow meth kit on but something still isnt right with it cuz it went pig rich and only ran a 12.75 @ 105 in the morning time trials.

I turned the Snow kit off and let it rip anyway. Car responded by dipping right into the 12.teens at 114mph on mid 1.60 60ft times. I added a touch more fuel and 1* of timing up top and was rewarded with my best pass so far.

Next pass the clutch slipped bad on the 3-4 shift and it slowed to a 12.15 @ 113 and I got beat so my race was done. Left with a huge smile anyway!

I cant believe how this car is coming around. Never would have thought a 98% stock Explorer motor with only 3.55 gears and a single exhaust would be trapping 115mph at 3600lbs!

If I can get this meth kit to work right I see no problem running in the 11s solid with a car I can jump in and drive over 400 miles a week to work in. My goal is so close I can smell it!

Waiting to get vids off my GF phone to post up too.
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...83-Tbird-build

FEP Member

Nice!

Congrats!!!

Dude major props!! With what little mods you have done to it you have that red bird hauling ass!! You'll be clocking 11's in no time. Keep up the good progress

Nice!
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 3.8 C5
    '92 Mustang LX hatchback - 2.3 T5 (2.3t soon)

Sounds like you're having a blast! Nice times! How did you like the surface at Norwalk compared to Milan?

Cale

sadly there is no comparing the two places. Norwalk is better in every way.
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t

How is the top end of the track at Milan? I remember it bouncing me around pretty good back in 2010, and my car only wanted to run 14.1s at that time. I hear you can actually drive a car down Plank road these days.

Cale

All the surrounding roads near the track have been repaved and are better than anything paved inside the tracks gates. My car did 112mph last trip to Milan and the top end was good enough that nothing sticks in my mind.
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t

Congrats on the 12.09 slip. My guess is with steeper rear gears 11's are within reach. Or possibly even steeper gears with higher launch RPM and hard clutch leaving in 2nd. Might shave a few hundredths off by avoiding a shift.

Sufficient to say your bird is quicker than a ton of cars on the road.

Awesome tbird. Looks great and moves good as well.

Im only crossing the finish line at 5200 in 4th gear and that only puts the blower at 7psi so Im leaving some power and ET on the table for sure with these 3.55 gears. But it is what it is since I drive way to many miles on the expressway to justify stepping up to a 3.73 or 4.10 gear.

Im hoping if I can get this Snow kit figured out that will give me that last little bit of power I need or Im fairly sure come fall with some 20* cooler temps it will run 11s pretty easy.
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t

Head to Florida this winter. Cool and humid air at sea level is great for making big power.