Close

Default 85 GT hood decal

I am looking for some input from you knowledgeable folks. My 85 GT has original paint and I would like to keep it that way. The factory hood decal has some water spot stains and I have tried everything to get them out. It really takes away from the car. How hard is it to get the decal off with out hurting the paint, and secondly are there any NOS hood stickers around? If not are there any perfect repos?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Harry
    85 GT T-Top w/18K miles
    85 Saleen 85-131
    86 Saleen 86-018

I don't know about NOS, but there are reproductions out there. I did mine over ten years ago. The gray looked too light and what they called dark gray turned out to be too black. It doesn't look bad, just not quite right. I got mine from here:

http://www.graphic-express.com/ford-...out-decal.html

It looks like the Dark Gray may be a better match now, but it is hard to tell from the photo. Another option is to get the stencil and have it painted.

As far as getting the old one off, I used Xylol/Xylene as a solvent. Getting the vinyl off was not that bad, but getting all the adhesive took a lot of work using the solvent and plastic putty knife.

Here is a before:
    Name:  P4050492.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  88.5 KB

during:
    Name:  P4050499.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  42.9 KB

after:
    Name:  P4130522.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  107.0 KB

My two cents Harry would be leave it alone.

I've removed a few factory decals but never without hurting the original paint. Then reapplying the new decal is no easy task either. Jmo

Have you tried 303 on it? Stuff is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry my car is identical to yours and got some acid rain spots on it 5-6 years ago. I tried compound and polish and neither got rid of them to my liking. Then I tried a product that I was given at SEMA called Beyond Clay...its a liquid product that does the same thing as clay barring the car. The stuff did wonders on those rain spots....both the paint and on the hood decal.

https://surfcitygarage.com/beyond-cl...nt-polish.html

I have also tried SEVERAL different waxes on the original single stage paint, and my favorite by far is good old Meguires Gold Class (liquid).
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Thanks guys. I really would like to keep it original. Jason I ordered some of that and will give it a try. Thanks again.
    Harry
    85 GT T-Top w/18K miles
    85 Saleen 85-131
    86 Saleen 86-018

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Harry my car is identical to yours and got some acid rain spots on it 5-6 years ago. I tried compound and polish and neither got rid of them to my liking. Then I tried a product that I was given at SEMA called Beyond Clay...its a liquid product that does the same thing as clay barring the car. The stuff did wonders on those rain spots....both the paint and on the hood decal.

https://surfcitygarage.com/beyond-cl...nt-polish.html

I have also tried SEVERAL different waxes on the original single stage paint, and my favorite by far is good old Meguires Gold Class (liquid).
    I love Surf City products...I'll have to try that Beyond Clay product on my '83.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Why don't you have it painted on...mine looks identical to the decal
    Stephen Johnson
    SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
    National Record Holder 9.49 @ 139mph
    1985 Mustang daily driver
    10.88mph 125mph N/A 337

Quote Originally Posted by 1Quik85GT View Post
    Why don't you have it painted on...mine looks identical to the decal

Where the car is 100% original and it has low miles, I want to keep it correct.
    Harry
    85 GT T-Top w/18K miles
    85 Saleen 85-131
    86 Saleen 86-018

I had mine replaced today and the color is totally off. I’m so sorry It was even done. Going to call tomorrow to see what would be involved in removing it. Is it better to do it when it’s fresh on the car, or does it even matter?
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Saw your pictures on Facebook last night, and the ensuing debate about what is available and what is correct/not correct for black cars I understand your frustration, but for what it's worth I don't think it looks THAT bad. I'd leave it on unless the removal/cleanup process is easy and inexpensive.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Thanks Jason, I appreciate the supportive words. I just really don’t like it whatsoever. It looks blatantly obvious to me that it doesn’t belong there and totally not the vision I had for the car. This was my bad for not inspecting the decal more thoroughly before dropping off at the shop. I’m sure I’m going to have to pay the piper but i just want it right. Consider it an expensive lesson learned.
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

FEP Member

i went to do mine last weekend.turns out the gray sticker i ordered is actually black! not happy.i returned mine and ordered the stencil for 28 bucks.ill be painting mine on.i have fresh paint on my car so no biggie if not original.
    post a pic of yours matt

Quote Originally Posted by kfxmatt View Post
    i went to do mine last weekend.turns out the gray sticker i ordered is actually black! not happy.i returned mine and ordered the stencil for 28 bucks.ill be painting mine on.i have fresh paint on my car so no biggie if not original.
    post a pic of yours matt

This is how it lioks for now until i Name:  F2FFC7CE-6E18-4951-8FCF-D630AE98E193.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  79.3 KBI remove it
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

Black shoe polish on it might be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Black shoe polish on it might be interesting.
    Interesting....or maybe coat it with some Meguires Back To Black before spending the $$ on removal
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey