Close

Thread: E85

Default E85

Is anyone running e85? I noticed at the gas station it's $2.17/gallon and race fuel is $7.99. It's got me thinking.

The alcohol ruins regular rubber hoses, regular injectors, is hard on aluminum and corrodes non stainless lines. It also takes roughly 30% more than gas so a tune will be in order. That said it does make a bit more power and is much cheaper
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 07-09-2017 at 08:02 PM.

FEP Super Member

I would not say it is much cheaper, when you need 30 % more to do the job.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Here in the heart of ethynol country where the government handouts run deep, and as a corn producer and ethynol consumer i can tell you the cheaper cost and reduced mileage are just barely cheaper than regular gas.

So, new fuel lines, and rejet carb. Probably need electric fuel pump. And gas mileage probably be under 10mpg. How much more power though?10%,20%.??

FEP Super Member

More like you will need 30 % more fuel to make the same btu's as gas .
    Thats 30% more money out of my wallet , not including the corn compatible parts i have to buy .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

could cut it 50% with normal fuel
    still when you know that stuff is in the tank its like evil lurks
    not worth the risk of unseen or future damage in old cars.

ran a little cut for a bit in my turbo
    car is ok but strange things happened
    fuel tank started to leak at the straps
    is ok now no leaks!

pass- no more- car smelled like a drunk
    who needs that if pulled over

I have just recently switched to using e85 this past spring in my 92 mustang it's a dart block 331 supercharged. I gained a Little over 40 horsepower at the rear tire with the switch and a tune nothing crazy but still happy with the results. Around me e85 is going anywhere from $1.40's- $1.60's a gallon so its nice and cheap to fill up, and I love the way it smells coming out of the exhaust that nice sweet corn smell lol. Now a couple downsides would be obviously that it burns faster..from what I have read/experienced so far and what my tuner says it's around 30-33%. The other downside is it is hygroscopic and collects a lot of moisture, i run dual catch can/breathers off the valve covers and I drain them out after every couple nights of cruising, humidity also plays a big part on how much moisture it collects. Overall I think it's a great upgrade just do your research and buy all the correct compatible parts.
    Last edited by 86coupe421; 07-10-2017 at 01:41 PM.

I'm currently running it in three of my cars and just got my new carb for my fourth. Absolutely the best thing I have done to my cars. But in my opinion you need compression to run it like it should. Compression is king, just ask the boosted and diesel guys.
    1982 gt 377 j302 heads converted Holley dp 750 12.1 compression best e.t 11.1@ 125
    1984 gt 351 gt y heads converted Holley dp 750 11.1 compression best et 12.3@ 109
    1988 Saleen 306 68 302 heads milled and ported 11.1 compression not run on track yet
    1979 pace car 408 Cleveland 4v heads Holley 850 hp 12.1 compression hoping to have it on the dyno by September.

Also forgot to mention. The first one that I did over five years ago and have yet to have any problems with leaks! All have factory lines and pumps except the 82 which is running a Holley mechanical pump. One thing I will mention is it will clean your fuel system out so you do need a good filter, it also makes jet changes a lot nicer because it does not smell as bad as gas.

FEP Senior Member

I tried to run e85 on my stock 85 gt (carb). he is my take on it. first you must rejet the carb. second mpg went from 20 mpg to 18. the price of e85 usually was cheaper than 20%. next thing I learned was the E85 is not always E85, they are allowed to changes the amount of ethynol depending on factors , like temperature. so I was rejetting the carb for each season. and or tank of gas because they did not always have the same blend. but the reason I stopped was on a hot summer day 100+ the car developed vapor lock. alcohol evaporates at 140 F or so. open hood, let it cool off. start it drive 2 miles. stops, pull over, open hood etc. put gas back in , rejet and have not gone back to e85. I am told if one would use electric pump in the tank it will not vapor lock so easy. I have not tried that.

We have e10 here at every pump. During the switch over, gas got more expensive and dropped about 7% mpg. There are a few ethonal free stations. Gas mileage goes back and so does a bit of power. However, i run my timing about 16º with no pinging, gets most of the power back.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by bob85gt View Post
    I tried to run e85 on my stock 85 gt (carb). he is my take on it. first you must rejet the carb. second mpg went from 20 mpg to 18. the price of e85 usually was cheaper than 20%. next thing I learned was the E85 is not always E85, they are allowed to changes the amount of ethynol depending on factors , like temperature. so I was rejetting the carb for each season. and or tank of gas because they did not always have the same blend. but the reason I stopped was on a hot summer day 100+ the car developed vapor lock. alcohol evaporates at 140 F or so. open hood, let it cool off. start it drive 2 miles. stops, pull over, open hood etc. put gas back in , rejet and have not gone back to e85. I am told if one would use electric pump in the tank it will not vapor lock so easy. I have not tried that.
    You are 100% correct e85 is not always. When you run e85 an air fuel gauge is your best friend, it will tell you exactly what the engine is doing. And also, I would not run e85 in a stock compression engine, I personally can't see an advantage of doing it other than being able to put more timing in it. But it does run so good with higher compression.

It's cheap 102-105 octane fuel. 35% more fuel means 35% less air -- and liquid does not compress. More pressure means more power. Then throw advance at it. 2-3 degrees more is common-- and great for power.

Im working with a tuning resource for my build. He indicated he usually sees 12% more power on stock compression and 15% on higher compression. My small chamber heads I plan to run yield just shy of 12:1.

Overall the engine setup I'm putting together is essentially a known performer. Lots of magazine builds and dyno details. Should go ~400 HP and 400 lbs on premium fuel at the crank. Somewhere north of 440 might be available on E85 with aggressive tuning. If not, that's what nitrous is for.....

Or turbos off a dead powerstroke.....