Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pretty rare 1985 GT

I have had this car sitting in my basement for many years and always wanted to restore it some day because it's a nice car with 70000 original miles and its a radio delete car which is very rare in an 85 GT . Even more rare is the fact that the rear speaker holes were never cut into the 1/4 panels. The car is a nice car but does need work. I got it running years ago before I put it away and although it ran bad it did run. It has its original paint still on it except some time early on in its life the drivers rear 1/4 had been painted. The front fender also had a small dent in it so i replaced it with another black fender I had laying around but I have the original fender somewhere if someone really wanted it. The car is original down to the exhaust . If you are looking for a nice car to restore or just fix and get it running good to drive this is a nice solid car. It has manual windows,locks,radio delete, no cruise,no tinted glass.
    Please keep in mind these picture were taken years ago before I put it away in my basement.( In heat and A/C) The pictures also make the car look better then it is just like most cars. I don't have any interior pictures but it's nice although at some point someone cut holes for speakers in the door panels.
    Just a/c and a 5 speed. I would like to get as close to $2500 as I can. The car is located in Hardy Va 24101
    Thanks
    John

Last edited by jleews6; 07-09-2017 at 06:23 PM.
    A bunch of 85gt's

Photobucket strikes again!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

John, empty some of your PM folder.

FEP Super Member

Can not see any of your pictures .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

My PM should be good now. I dont know whats up with the pictures. I guess photobucket has been having problems because they come up fine for me.
    A bunch of 85gt's

Photobucket is not having problems, they are having a stupidity attack Photobucket no longer allows you to host and link to them on 3rd party sites (such as this) for free.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Test

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Test
    LOL...that's not a test. That's a tease. It worked!
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

For all that you do...this Bud's for you
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 07-10-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Photobucket still works!

FEP Power Member

Not so rare. The radio was still a purchased option in 85. It was after 85 that a radio was standard equipment and all the speakers were installed by default. It's rare in that no one has modified it! Sounds like a nice barn/basement find.

Update:
    I stand corrected on the radio option. In general it was more common back then for the delete.
    Last edited by KevinK; 07-13-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Not so rare. The radio was still a purchased option in 85. It was after 85 that a radio was standard equipment and all the speakers were installed by default. It's rare in that no one has modified it! Sounds like a nice barn/basement find.
    I have owned around 40 of them and this is the first one I have seen so I thought it was rare. I guess not. Oh well. I wish there was a way to find out how many actually came without a radio.
    A bunch of 85gt's

Quote Originally Posted by jleews6 View Post
    I have owned around 40 of them and this is the first one I have seen so I thought it was rare. I guess not. Oh well. I wish there was a way to find out how many actually came without a radio.
    If someone has an Elite Marti report on one of them or has paid Marti to do the research, maybe they could tell us. It could be one of the stats that is included to narrow down how many of their car were made.
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

I'd still love to see some pictures of it. I'm still interested.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not so rare. The radio was still a purchased option in 85. It was after 85 that a radio was standard equipment ...
    Capri and Mustang have had a standard radio since 1982. The standard radio in 1984-86 Capri/Mustang non-SVO was the AM/FM stereo radio (no cassette), code "4" on the door tag. If you did not want a radio at all you had to order the 'radio credit option', regular production option (RPO) number 58Y. It included a credit on your invoice. According to the 10-4-84 printing of the salesman's guide the credit amount at that time for the 1985 Mustang was $148 and in the notes below that option is says "Deletes standard AM/FM radio. Not available with 913 premium sound." Radio code on the door tag for that option was "Y".

So to recap...

1982-86 standard radios (door tag code in parenthesis)
    1982-84 (exc. SVO) = AM (2)
    1985-86 (exc. SVO) = AM/FM stereo (4)
    1984 SVO = AM/FM stereo cassette (8)
    1984 Comp Prep = AM/FM stereo (4)
    1985-86 SVO = electronic AM/FM stereo search cassette (6)
    1985-86 SVO Comp Prep = radio credit (Y)

1982-86 optional radios
    1982-83 = AM/FM stereo (4), AM/FM stereo 8-track (5), AM/FM stereo cassette (7), radio credit (Y)
    1984 (exc. SVO) = AM/FM stereo (4), AM/FM stereo cassette (8), radio credit (Y)
    1985-86 (exc. SVO) = AM/FM stereo cassette (7), electronic AM/FM stereo search cassette (6), radio credit (Y)
    1984 SVO pre-Comp Prep = AM/FM stereo (4), radio credit (Y)
    1984 SVO Comp Prep = AM/FM stereo (4)
    1985-86 SVO Comp Prep = radio credit (Y)

... and all the speakers were installed by default.
    That part is true, after mid (?) 1985. If you ordered the radio credit option before then the factory installed panels without speakers/speaker holes.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by jleews6 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LT-84GTturbo View Post
    If someone has an Elite Marti report on one of them or has paid Marti to do the research, maybe they could tell us. It could be one of the stats that is included to narrow down how many of their car were made.
    3,782 With Delete Radio
    For the 1985 Mustang 3-Door Sedan

Statistic courtesy of Marti Auto Works.

That stat is for ALL hatchbacks (all models/engines/transmissions/paint/interior trims/etc).
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Did photos ever get posted?
    1981 Mustang Coupe - 5.0/5-speed from Indiana, at the body shop getting a little love...still...
    1982 Mustang Coupe - One of the first 10 log-booked American Sedan (A/S) cars built in the early 1990's. Topeka World Challenge Top 10 finisher, 1993 and 1994. Under-going retestification.
    1982 Mustang GT - Something out of the ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by Nation View Post
    Did photos ever get posted?
    Back off you vultures! Lol

I'm anxiously waiting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Back off you vultures! Lol

I'm anxiously waiting as well.
    I wasn't aware I was vulture'ing anything.
    1981 Mustang Coupe - 5.0/5-speed from Indiana, at the body shop getting a little love...still...
    1982 Mustang Coupe - One of the first 10 log-booked American Sedan (A/S) cars built in the early 1990's. Topeka World Challenge Top 10 finisher, 1993 and 1994. Under-going retestification.

Last edited by Nation; 07-13-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Nation View Post
    I wasn't aware I was vulture'ing anything.
    It was a joke. Several people, including myself have been anxiously waiting for pics. That's why I put the "lol" after my sentence to suggest I'm just joking.

I think it is funny that someone would opt out of a radio to save $148! The value of money back in the 70's and 80's is funny compared to today. As example, the guy I bought my house from had it built in 1971. Back then he ordered a 3/4 basement rather than a full basement. Back in 2007 when we be bought from him, I asked why not a full basement....he said it would have been an extra $750. Hard for me to imagine balking at an additional $750 on a ~$30-50k house back then....or in this case, saving $148 on a ~$14k car
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Thanks for the info Fox. I knew it was pretty rare.

BKM I have the pics on my phone but forgot to check if you sent me your number.
    A bunch of 85gt's

FEP User

pm sent, please contact me thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mjr46 View Post
    pm sent, please contact me thanks
    I will keep you in mind but as of right now I have a verbal agreement with BKM to hold it for him. If anything changes I will let you know. I think if you right click on the pictures and "open in new tab" they will show up.
    A bunch of 85gt's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast