Close

Default Windshield smashed

Moving from CT down to FL on our final road trip. We're driving I-84 and a FedEx truck drops a piece of 4" metal, hits my hood and cracks the windshield in two places.

The original made it 32 years and 211k miles.

So before I get this replaced, I'm trying to get my info straight. Is the original Carlite glass still available? Will I have to help them source it? Is there anything I need to be aware of for the install to make sure everything is done right?

This is an 85 GT Convertible, BTW.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

I ran my original 86 for about the same mileage, mine got broke.

dont know about factory stuff but I do know windshields from safelite fit well. I've had mine in ever since. I have just shy of 455K on my car now. I put a blanket on my hood, popped the trim off, put my feet on the glass and applied constant pressure. It came right out.

Took a little time to clean off the old sealant.

Factory style sealant and it dropped right in. Been great ever since. No leaks, nice and clear, etc. pits from gravel now but that's normal.

I understand your desire for a Carlite but just to be clear, there are loads of good, affordable options aside from Carlite if you are so inclined. PGW, Safelite, PPG etc. They will actually have nicer tint than the OEM one and you will be amazed how clear it is compared to the 30 years of pitting that had to be in your original. Also, you can get one installed for @ $125 out the door including the glass so to me, my time is worth more than all that mess and fuss so I let the pros do it.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Power Member

Carlite should be available at any glass supplier. There are some variations from the original but fior quality glass they should be great. Little things like the blackout border have been changed over the years as well as the date code. Keep in mind the Insurance deductible is much lower for just glass under comprehensive coverage.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Carlite should be available at any glass supplier. There are some variations from the original but fior quality glass they should be great. Little things like the blackout border have been changed over the years as well as the date code. Keep in mind the Insurance deductible is much lower for just glass under comprehensive coverage.
    Kevin -

The deductible for glass is the same for Comp, unless your insurer provides an additional coverage for glass with a lower deductible and you have purchased that coverage.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Be prepared to have to replace the lower windshield molding pieces on either side of the cowling. They tend to break at the tabs. Here they are from LMR: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-03122BP/83-...d-Molding-Pair

Even fresh repro pieces are fragile. So if you replace them, be sure to get it right the first time. Test fit the tangs that slip into the side windshield molding, you will probably need to sand/scrape them to get them to fit right.

Overall tint shades and even tint color vary from each glass manufacturer.
    Including the darker top sun strip.
    Another concern, besides color, are water leaks.
    Or glass replacement company sneaking in a used w/s as new. Inspect before install.
    Sealer may have to set up a day or two before trim can be reinstalled. No car washing.

FEP Super Member

I have had 2 mustang windshields relpaced .
    They came to my house , and did a perfect job for 100 each.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    Kevin -

The deductible for glass is the same for Comp, unless your insurer provides an additional coverage for glass with a lower deductible and you have purchased that coverage.
    Yes, my only point being the deductible is a lesser amounts not the collision deductible which could be $500 to several thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    I have had 2 mustang windshields relpaced .
    They came to my house , and did a perfect job for 100 each.
    THIS^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Yes, my only point being the deductible is a lesser amounts not the collision deductible which could be $500 to several thousand.
    To each their own but I keep high deductibles on mine, like 10X what a windshield costs.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    THIS^^^^^^

To each their own but I keep high deductibles on mine, like 10X what a windshield costs.
    Me too.
    Bryan

I wouldn't spend the extra $$ to have CarLite unless you are into MCA shows for points? At 211K miles and growing, your car is a driver so I'd save the money and go aftermarket. Just my two cents.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm working on getting Fedex to pay for this, since it was their truck that dropped whatever metal fragment that dented my hood and took a couple of chunks of paint out. Other than that the car has been great for the trip, which I will finish today.

I can't even seem to figure out what the Carlite part number is, let alone where to find it. The ebay one linked looks very different from what I have in terms of the sun banding on top and the Carlite logo placement (mine is in the middle). The car is all original, despite the mileage, which was the only reason why I was thinking about keeping it Carlite. But if it is too much money, I will go aftermarket, considering it'll probably get broken again at some point.

Where is the part number on these things? This is what I have in the middle and it doesn't seem to match anything with Carlite:

1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

I believe the p/n is "W 946".

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    I believe the p/n is "W 946".
    That is correct. Yes, the black bands do vary over the years. New Carlite should be available from any local glass shop. Cost does not matter if they pay for it. I would think $500 or less installed. Cheaper glass often has subtle flaws.

Was told by a guy restoring an ssp last year that carlite glass is no longer available. I do not know this as fact, but he had to source one elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 7993mustang View Post
    Was told by a guy restoring an ssp last year that carlite glass is no longer available. I do not know this as fact, but he had to source one elsewhere.
    Someone should break the news to Carlite:

http://carlite.com/
    Bryan

I believe that the vert windshield is different than all other non-vert cars.

I had the windshield in my 86 GT vert replaced a few years ago and I believe the shop said there was a difference.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    Someone should break the news to Carlite:

http://carlite.com/
    Like I said, "I do not know this as fact". But now I'm interest in the difference in the two. Vert vs hard top
    Last edited by 7993mustang; 07-12-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by 7993mustang View Post
    I think it just depends on which glass is being replaced and what year is needed. For example, Fox Resto says this about door glass on their site: "Passenger's side door glass for any 1983-93 coupe or hatchback. This is PPG glass. Carlite glass is obsolete but we can get a limited supply by special order".
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

FEP Super Member

I look at it like this .
    I drive my car , glass gets worn , fine abrassions over time and miles , i will get a cheaper priced glass , and be able to see clear ( pun intended ) to replacement when needed .
    You never realise how much different it is , to have a new clear glass .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right