Close

Default Newb from U.P. Of Michigan

Wanted to stop by and introduce myself. My name is Jason and I'm from houghton mi. Recently picked up a 85 gt convertible with cfi and aod. 138k and 10k on engine rebuild. New seats,carpet and top. Also has factory tube headers which I think makes it a late year model. I heard that also makes it a roller block but not certain, maybe someone can chime in on that? Thanks
    Last edited by Juks; 07-06-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Welcome to FEP. Very nice & clean looking car. Love the grey interior and the seats with the red piping.
    Bob
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Welcome! Looks great! Love the seats...looks to be in great condition

Welcome to FEP Jason.
    I am partial to white 4eye verts..............very sharp looking.
    I agree with above comments on your seats the grey with red piping is like the grey upholstery seats which have always been my personal favorites.
    Ron
    PS it's strange how the much detested ten hole wheels look so good on a 4 eyed convertible!
    Last edited by BLK BRD 88; 07-07-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Welcome to FEP... Like the others said, love them seats.. car is great looking too....

Very Sharp!!!!!!!!!

Cool

Thanks . Makes me feel 20 years younger
    Last edited by Juks; 07-12-2017 at 05:47 AM.

Welcome!

Your 5.0 HO automatic block is roller capable, but was not ever roller equiped.

Roller cams and CFi work together fine, but you cannot use high flow cylinder heads. Stock, or E7, fine. As soon as it gets GT40 or GT40P's, the intake valve flow speed changes and causes poor idle. Same with exhaust. You can really go up in size and type, but there is a limit, and then the whole shootin match won't work with the stock fuel and ignition setttings.

But roller cam, yes, even a B cam. But never with high flow heads, because it was designed around the stock 157 to 225 hp cam lift and head flow rates.

Since its speed density, it can acommodate improvments, but because its speed density, you can't go too far. Past the stock 130 cfm intake manifold flow, it gets ropey. The Ford engineers made the 5.0 HO EFI Central Point injection quite unlike any other 1980 to 1985 CFi system.

They deleted the IAC/ISC systems, and the VOTM is used in a very different way, as is the choke pulloff, which is the principal difference, again proving what makes them for me the culmination of the very best minimum Fo MoCo engineering ever. Leaving out a part, and using another exsiting system to get a better result...that's smart!

Information from MANY experienced sources on this...most bail on the system very early because of a lack of good, proven info.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...98-1985-ltd-lx
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...et-issue/page2

I was able to find the original artilcle, from Jo Peterson; it affirms the maximum allowed head, exhaust and cam swaps for much heavier AOD Ford LTD LX HO CFi's

fgross2006 copied the exhaust suggestions, so did never, who had haunting with a B cam and the big exhaust. Seams like just a little loss or gain of intake or exhaust scavenging, and you can over cook it, but this is what works below.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jopeterson/
    http://home.earthlink.net/~jopeterson/Mods.htm

Welcome to FEP - great looking 'vert
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Great info! Thanks. I'm going to convert to a Holley 4v/msd 6a system next spring. Does anyone know if The stock tube headers will work with the gt40p heads?

FEP Senior Member

I think we have a few spammers. Anyways, welcome to FEP. I believe I would be referred to as a troll (I live under the bridge) up there. Looks like a very nice car. Has it spent its entire life in Michigan?

Troll lol. Yup. As far as I know it has always been in Michigan which is really surprising. The guy I got it from had it since 07 and he said it never seen snow. The doors have bondo in them but I have a set from a 90 that are perfect.