Close

Default Cobra R wheels & 245/45/17" tires will they rub on my SVO?

I have been looking for a set of 5 lug OEM Cobra R wheels for our 84 SVO.
    I have found a set with one pair of 245/45/17" tires mounted.
    Any of you guys have this kind of setup on your SVO?
    The rear fender well has been rolled on our SVO. Will these fit in front/back or will they rub on bumps/sharp turns?
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Thats the exact size i have on my 84 svo.......i have 17x9 FR-500 wheels with your same size tires. Only the rear if i hit a big bump. If your keeping your stock suspention you will need to have the center of the wheel machined to fit over the hub.

My svo has ebiach pro drop springs also.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

The FR500 wheels do not have the same backspacing as '95 Cobra R wheels, so they are not actually "the exact size".

The R58 Cobra R wheels have 5.95" BS (compared to 6.12" BS on the FR500s), so they will be more inclined to rub the rear fender lips. With the SVO's longer rear axles, what you would want in the rear are the M179 Cobra Rs, which have 6.42" BS. They've been discontinued for many years, but you still occasionally see used M179s for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by chads84svo View Post
    Thats the exact size i have on my 84 svo.......i have 17x9 FR-500 wheels with your same size tires. Only the rear if i hit a big bump. If your keeping your stock suspention you will need to have the center of the wheel machined to fit over the hub.
    Quote Originally Posted by chads84svo View Post
    My svo has ebiach pro drop springs also.
    Thanks for that info Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    The FR500 wheels do not have the same backspacing as '95 Cobra R wheels, so they are not actually "the exact size".

The R58 Cobra R wheels have 5.95" BS (compared to 6.12" BS on the FR500s), so they will be more inclined to rub the rear fender lips. With the SVO's longer rear axles, what you would want in the rear are the M179 Cobra Rs, which have 6.42" BS. They've been discontinued for many years, but you still occasionally see used M179s for sale.
    Thank you Patrick for that info. What year car did the M179s come on?

The seller just answered my questions about the wheels.
    He now says they are not CobraRs, but 1998 Cobra wheels SN95??
    Ron
    Last edited by BLK BRD 88; 07-06-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Prob these...........pic wouldnt load up.
    Last edited by chads84svo; 07-06-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Our 84 is sitting on H & R Sport Springs
    Ron
    Last edited by BLK BRD 88; 04-24-2018 at 05:06 PM.

I have Mach 1 wheels with the same size tire. I rolled the rear lips and yes I still rub on a hard bump. I pulled the front rotors removed the studs and ran a soft disc grinder around the hub to clear the inside of the wheel. It is actually a few thousandths of an inch. Barely more than smoothing out the roughness of the casting.

For SVO's, foxes with the M2300K kit, or foxes with sn95 rear axles, for a 17x9 rear wheel, you'd want the BS that the M179 rim has - 6.42".

Ford/FRPP rims:
    https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...charts/020.pdf

Summit does sell a rim with similar BS,
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/enk-4767906535sp

Enkei Kojin Matte Silver Wheels 4767906535SP
    $210.00
    Wheel, Kojin, Aluminum, Silver, 17 in. x 9.0 in., 5 x 4.50 in. Bolt Circle, 6.380 in. Backspace, Each

M179 Rim: (no longer available)
    https://autoplicity.com/2028379-ford...l79-93-mustang

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    I have Mach 1 wheels with the same size tire. I rolled the rear lips and yes I still rub on a hard bump. I pulled the front rotors removed the studs and ran a soft disc grinder around the hub to clear the inside of the wheel. It is actually a few thousandths of an inch. Barely more than smoothing out the roughness of the casting.
    I am not sure that I am interested in doing all of that just to have a certain set of wheels on SVO.

Quote Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post
    For SVO's, foxes with the M2300K kit, or foxes with sn95 rear axles, for a 17x9 rear wheel, you'd want the BS that the M179 rim has - 6.42".

Ford/FRPP rims:
    https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...charts/020.pdf

Summit does sell a rim with similar BS,
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/enk-4767906535sp

Enkei Kojin Matte Silver Wheels 4767906535SP
    $210.00
    Wheel, Kojin, Aluminum, Silver, 17 in. x 9.0 in., 5 x 4.50 in. Bolt Circle, 6.380 in. Backspace, Each

M179 Rim: (no longer available)
    https://autoplicity.com/2028379-ford...l79-93-mustang
    According to the Ford Chart it looks like I would need S179C wheels that are for 94-04 Mustangs.
    I had 06 Bullitts on our other SVO and they fit fine, where 04 wheels did not.
    Will I have the same hub diameter problem with these on the front as the 04 Bullitts?

Thanks for all of the info above that everyone has contributed. I now have a better idea of what to search for and what to avoid.

These wheels on Craigslist definitely are not what I want. Besides, I actually prefer the five spoke Cobra Wheels with a chrome finish.
    Ron
    Last edited by BLK BRD 88; 07-07-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    I am not sure that I am interested in doing all of that just to have a certain set of wheels on SVO.

According to the Ford Chart it looks like I would need S179C wheels that are for 94-04 Mustangs.
    I had 06 Bullitts on our other SVO and they fit fine, where 04 wheels did not.
    Will I have the same hub diameter problem with these on the front as the 04 Bullitts?

Thanks for all of the info above that everyone has contributed. I now have a better idea of what to search for and what to avoid.

These wheels on Craigslist definitely are not what I want. Besides, I actually prefer the five spoke Cobra Wheels with a chrome finish.
    Ron
    Any of the Mustang wheels designed for the 94+ cars that use the small center cap with exposed lug nuts can have clearance issues with the center cap/spindle dust cap clearance. You can also have issues with the spindle snout being a larger diameter than the center bore of the wheel where the center cap is located. This is due to the SN95 cars going to the short snout on the new spindles and running the hub bearing and rotor hat rather than the previous rotor/spindle combo. The SN95 and later wheels that use a cap that covers the entire spindle dust cap and the lug nuts usually do not have any issues.

The S197 cars run a wider track width than the SN95 cars and therefore use a larger BS or offset and that can be an advantage on the SVO and even Foxes running the SN95 suspension pieces at either end of the car. The other advantage is that if the offset is a bit too much, you can tweak the fitment with hubcentric spacers from Maximum Motorsports or others to get the right fit . . . within reason.

I run the R58 Cobra R's up front on my PC with 03/04 Cobra brakes and Fox spindles. I run the M179 Cobra R's in the back with my 03/04 Cobra IRS which is an even wider track width than the SVO. They fit with a 255/40 but I did have to roll the lips to prevent rubbing.

I had run the R58 Cobra R's on my old 85 GT with SVO suspension front and rear. The rear I rolled the lips and still had some rubbing on hard cornering or big bumps. The M179 offset is a much better choice IMHO. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Any of the Mustang wheels designed for the 94+ cars that use the small center cap with exposed lug nuts can have clearance issues with the center cap/spindle dust cap clearance. You can also have issues with the spindle snout being a larger diameter than the center bore of the wheel where the center cap is located. This is due to the SN95 cars going to the short snout on the new spindles and running the hub bearing and rotor hat rather than the previous rotor/spindle combo. The SN95 and later wheels that use a cap that covers the entire spindle dust cap and the lug nuts usually do not have any issues.

The S197 cars run a wider track width than the SN95 cars and therefore use a larger BS or offset and that can be an advantage on the SVO and even Foxes running the SN95 suspension pieces at either end of the car. The other advantage is that if the offset is a bit too much, you can tweak the fitment with hubcentric spacers from Maximum Motorsports or others to get the right fit . . . within reason.

I run the R58 Cobra R's up front on my PC with 03/04 Cobra brakes and Fox spindles. I run the M179 Cobra R's in the back with my 03/04 Cobra IRS which is an even wider track width than the SVO. They fit with a 255/40 but I did have to roll the lips to prevent rubbing.

I had run the R58 Cobra R's on my old 85 GT with SVO suspension front and rear. The rear I rolled the lips and still had some rubbing on hard cornering or big bumps. The M179 offset is a much better choice IMHO. Good Luck!
    Thanks Trey, All of the info from you guys who have had experiences with various wheels helps a bunch and makes it pretty clear what I need to avoid & what I need to look for.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88
    Thank you Patrick for that info. What year car did the M179s come on?

The seller just answered my questions about the wheels.
    He now says they are not CobraRs, but 1998 Cobra wheels SN95??
    Ron
    Ron, the M179s were never actually offered on a car. They were a modified version of the '95 Cobra R wheels that Ford Motorsport / SVO / FRPP (whatever it was called at the time) released to go along with the M-2300-K kit that put SN95 Cobra brakes on a Fox. The M-1007-R58 was the original '95 R wheel - 17x9" w/5.95" backspacing. M-1007-M179 had more backspacing (6.42") to allow for the longer SN95 axles on a Fox.

As for the '98 Cobra wheels, they are 17x8" w/5.72" backspacing, so they're the same as the '94-96 Cobra wheels, '99 Cobra wheels, the 17" 5-spoke Pony wheels, Tri-bars, SN95 Mach1s and SN95 Bullitts. Fitment should be fine, but sounds like that's a moot point, since they're not the finish you want.

OOps, back again with questions about a different size tire and wheel combo.
    Are there any rub problems with 245/50/16" tires mounted on OEM SVO wheels on the rear, or 215/55/16" on the front?
    Car sits on H & R Sport springs and the rear wells are rolled.
    Ron

IMHO the 245 is a bit wide for the OEM SVO 7" wheels. They fit better on an 8". Otherwise I don't believe you will have any major rubbing issues. You may still get some when cornering depending on your ride height and the condition of your rear suspension bushings. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for the response Trey.
    Right after posting last night I looked on a site that gave wheel/tire matches and they recommended nothing wider than a 225 on 7" wheels.
    Too bad, I am sure that the Michelin 215/55s on the front and the 245/50s on the rear would have given our car a much quieter and smoother ride than the Z rated Yokahamas on it now.
    Ron

There are plenty of folks (myself included) who have run 245/50-16s on 16x7" wheels. It's not optimal for performance, but it definitely gives a more "meaty" look. I'm not sure what website you were looking at that said only up to 225s was OK on a 7" wheel; in fact, the industry standard wheel width recommendation for 245/50s is 7 - 8.5", so a 16x7" is in the range.

Those are 245/50's all the way around. Going w new rims n tires but it's definitely not an optimal tire on the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your replies Patrick Olsen & 80 Fairmont.
    I guess I will have to pass on these tires also since they are DOT 2007 dates. Tire shops up in our area will not mount anything older than six years. Supposedly it is an EPA ruling.........thanks, out of control gov. agency!
    Ron

I find it hard to believe the EPA has a ruling on tire age; perhaps DOT/NHTSA? Even then, I've never heard of such a thing.

With that said, I wouldn't want 10-year-old tires on my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    I find it hard to believe the EPA has a ruling on tire age; perhaps DOT/NHTSA? Even then, I've never heard of such a thing.

With that said, I wouldn't want 10-year-old tires on my car.
    One of the tire shop guys said that he thought that it was the EPA. It looks like it is the NTSC who suggests that all tires older than six years be retired.
    This must be some gimmicky new idea, since even the tire companies are against it.

Personally, as one who has been driving for 61 years, I think that is nonsense. I have driven on tires far older for much of my life without a single problem.
    If tires aren't badly weather cracked and still have sufficient tread they should be driven on, I don't care how old they are.
    Ron

The idea that anything wider that 225 tires are too wide for 7" wheels must also be something new.

I have owned several Mercury Mountaineers with 7" wide wheels that all came from the factory with 235s on them.
    Certainly going one size larger than factory can't be too wide.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    I have owned several Mercury Mountaineers with 7" wide wheels that all came from the factory with 235s on them.
    What does a taller SUV tire have to do with a car tire?

Fwiw, tires for 2003 Mercury Mountaineer SUVs
    https://www.sizemytires.com/make/mer...ountaineer#all

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Selec...Standard+Model
    P245/70R16
    Overall Diam. 29.5"

Note that the Mercury Mountaineer SUV is a much taller tire than a standard car tire.
    So, it has a longer sidewall for a given rim size and tire width. That directly effects what rim width that tire will properly and safely work on.

For an 1986 Mustang
    4-eyes, aero Fox, and Sn95 had similar overall tire dimensions - it's a fairly standard overall tire dimension.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...inLoadRating=S

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...andard%20Model
    225/60R15
    Overall Diam. 25.6"

For a car tire, a 235 width tire requires a smaller sidewall.

If a wide tire is put on a thin rim, then the sidewall will have a noticeable bend inwards. That means, that under extreme sidewall loading (like cornering or accident avoidance), the side wall may give and the tire can loose pressure or blow.
    Also, the sidewalls are not made nor designed for that type of loading.
    So, running a wide tire on a thin rim, is not safe.

Doing a quick Google search, I found the following:
    The following graphics are originally from bicycle tire manufactures, but it gets the points across:

Also:

Go to tirerack.
    They list the tire's manufacture's specifications and recommendations.

Please don't put a tire that is too wide on a rim. It's not safe.
    Consider it like drinking or texting while driving. Yea, some people get away with it. But, do a google search to see how many people die each day/hour because of those foolish behaviors.

Also, having an unsafe tire/rim combination might be enough reason for an insurance company to deny a claim (improper equipment that effects the car's handling and braking), or possibly to even assign blame.

It's ultimately your choice. But, please also consider the consequences.

The idea of improving traction with a wider tire is only true if on the correct width rim. I addition to the above noted safety issues, a tire that is too wide for the rim will have far more sidewall flex and will negatively affect handling and steering response. The ideal for handling and steering response is to fit a tire to the widest specified rim for the tire size. That ensures that the tire is appropriate for the rim and the sidewalls will have the least flex. This of course gives up some ride quality, so aiming for the middle of the fitment range is typically best for a street car.

Have any of you fellas run 255/40/17 tires on your Foxes?
    I see a set of 9" 2005 chrome wheels for sale on Craigslist with 255/40/17 tires mounted on them.
    I wonder if they will fit under my 84 SVO without rubbing.
    It has the rear wheel wells rolled so I have a bit more room than a stock SVO, but it has been lowered a bit.
    Ron