Close

Default 2.3 SROD 4 speed to 2.3 T5 conversion

Well since there not much information, on this swap for the 4 speed 4 eyed draw through turbos to the 5 speed t5 decided to do a small write up.

I did the swap successfully and easily. On my case with a 1979 4eyed 2.3 turbo using a 1988 2.3 t5 trans.

Everything bolts in.

The transmission housing on the srod is exactly the same than in the one on the t5
    Input shaft and output shaft are exactly the same
    The speedometer gears are interchangeable
    The length on the transmissions are the same 2ft without bellhousing not including input shaft. Since the housings are the same basically whole lenght is the same
    Transmission mounts are the same and bolt in the same way
    U do need the t5 shifter

Its a dead easy swap, u just need to take out the trans without the bellhousing so u leave and use the same clutch and not dealing with clutch cable stuff and so on.

I changed the speedo gears so they match. Meaning not using the one in the cable with the srod and using the one that came with the t5 cable. The change and fit each other.

The shifter part centers perfectly, and u can use the boot from stock srod.
    Its easier to place in the shifter before bolting in the trans mount in place, but not before bolting in the trans to the housing. Or if u have a short shifter just take the upper part apart and reinstall it from the top.

In other words is a world on difference in couple of hours work.

Gear ratio differences:
    Ratio srod: 3.29 1st, 1.84 2nd, 1.00 3rd, 0.81 4th, and 3.29 Rev.
    Ratio t5:. 3.97 1st, 2.34 2nd, 1.46 3rd,1.00 4th, 0.79 5th, and 3.70 Rev.

Yeah its not a t5 from the v8 and yes it will not withstand the world class hp or tq ratings, btw i think in this v8 t5 swap you would need to have the pilot bearing changed. But then again the srod doesnt seem to withstand more than the small t5.

Quote Originally Posted by Bymguate View Post
    Well since there not much information, on this swap for the 4 speed 4 eyed draw through turbos to the 5 speed t5 decided to do a small write up.

I did the swap successfully and easily. On my case with a 1979 4eyed 2.3 turbo using a 1988 2.3 t5 trans.

Everything bolts in.

The transmission housing on the srod is exactly the same than in the one on the t5
    Input shaft and output shaft are exactly the same
    The speedometer gears are interchangeable
    The length on the transmissions are the same 2ft without bellhousing not including input shaft. Since the housings are the same basically whole lenght is the same
    Transmission mounts are the same and bolt in the same way
    U do need the t5 shifter

Its a dead easy swap, u just need to take out the trans without the bellhousing so u leave and use the same clutch and not dealing with clutch cable stuff and so on.

I changed the speedo gears so they match. Meaning not using the one in the cable with the srod and using the one that came with the t5 cable. The change and fit each other.

The shifter part centers perfectly, and u can use the boot from stock srod.
    Its easier to place in the shifter before bolting in the trans mount in place, but not before bolting in the trans to the housing. Or if u have a short shifter just take the upper part apart and reinstall it from the top.

In other words is a world on difference in couple of hours work.

Gear ratio differences:
    Ratio srod: 3.29 1st, 1.84 2nd, 1.00 3rd, 0.81 4th, and 3.29 Rev.
    Ratio t5:. 3.97 1st, 2.34 2nd, 1.46 3rd,1.00 4th, 0.79 5th, and 3.70 Rev.

Yeah its not a t5 from the v8 and yes it will not withstand the world class hp or tq ratings, btw i think in this v8 t5 swap you would need to have the pilot bearing changed. But then again the srod doesnt seem to withstand more than the small t5.
    What clutch cable and pedal assembly did you end up using? Im hVing a hard time getting a smooth clutch pedal travel. Thanks!
    1982 Mercury Capri Godzilla swapped/T56
    1984 Mercury Capri RS T-Top, 4.6 Terminator Whipple
    1979 Mercury Capri RS Turbo, SVO powertrain..(under construction)
    1979 Mercury Capri RS Bright Yellow
    1983 Mercury Capri RS 21k original miles
    1985 Mercury Capri Mclaren Convertible

Check out my youtube channel for Four Eyed Fox stuff!
    https://youtube.com/@401foxbody