Close

Default 85' LX Turn Signal Relay Location?!?!? NOT FLASHER!

I have searched and searched and been to this site many times and all I find is '87 and up help when it comes to HAZARDS WORKING AND TURN SIGNALS NOT. I switched to LED bulbs a few months back and my turn signals stopped working, when I switched back to regular bulbs they still do not work but my hazards do. I have replaced the Turn Signal Switch, I have tried 4 different Flasher units and still cannot get my turn signals to work. I have checked the fuses and bulbs several times and they all check out. My question is where is the RELAY for the turn signals located? I understand from what I have read that the Hazards and Turn Signals have seperate relays and I cannot locate where this relay is. Some say behind the radio, some say behind the glove box but these are '87 and up cars. I have checked all of my wires leading to the ignition including the orange one that many people have mentioned and everything is tight and locked in. Thank you for any help, I only post this because I cannot find an '85 LX specific post about this problem.

There is no relay, the turn signal flasher is in the fuse box under the steering column. The hazard flasher is above the glove box behind the dash trim. Are your back up lights working? if you have reverse lights there is good power to the turn signal flasher. If not check the fuse. There is a light blue wire from fuse box to the turn signal switch. You should have power there if not you have an open between flasher and turn signal switch. If you have power there there and they still don't work the switch is bad.
    Last edited by Lowetlx; 07-05-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Make sure all the bulbs are making good contact. When the sockets get worn out the bulb wont seat right. My cougar has a bulb on the left hand side like that. Ill hit a bump and my right turn signal works but the left doesnt. If i touch the bulb it will light up and start flashing.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Fuse box has the flasher for signals. Hazard flasher is located above glove compartment. You will need a no load flasher. A no load flasher has 3 prongs instead of 2. The third prong is required to be grounded.

Are you using no load flasher?

When I converted the lights to led, all worked with regular flasher until I also changed the dash indicators.

When you go to mcParts, he won't know what you are talking about. What you need is a three prong electronic flasher. Schematic for ground plug should be on top of flasher.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post
    There is no relay, the turn signal flasher is in the fuse box under the steering column. The hazard flasher is above the glove box behind the dash trim. Are your back up lights working? if you have reverse lights there is good power to the turn signal flasher. If not check the fuse. There is a light blue wire from fuse box to the turn signal switch. You should have power there if not you have an open between flasher and turn signal switch. If you have power there there and they still don't work the switch is bad.
    No backup lights, I am going to check that wire and the fuse box now. The switch is new so I imagine it must be that wire, the last time i checked the fuses they were all good. I will post my findings after I check it out. Thank YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by steam_mill View Post
    Fuse box has the flasher for signals. Hazard flasher is located above glove compartment. You will need a no load flasher. A no load flasher has 3 prongs instead of 2. The third prong is required to be grounded.

When I converted the lights to led, all worked with regular flasher until I also changed the dash indicators.

When you go to mcParts, he won't know what you are talking about. What you need is a three prong electronic flasher. Schematic for ground plug should be on top of flasher.
    That may also be the problem. I am pretty sure I replaced it with two prong flasher. I have the old one laying around here somewhere I will also give that a try before I take the column plastics off. Thank you as well!

Quote Originally Posted by steam_mill View Post

I did have a 2 prong and apparently disposed of the original because all I have are 2 prongs. I will try that out before anything else. Thanks for the help guys I'll let you know when I find the problem. I scoured the forums for weeks trying to find the information you guys gave me in this post.