Close

Default Which Caster Camber Plates To Run

So, my 1985 GT had these plates that came with the car, and from what I can see, it required the previous owner to drill 4 new holes in the strut tower:

Name:  20170704_105356_resized.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  147.4 KB

Anyone know what brand they are, and if they are meant for a Fox Body?

The parts car I got, 1984 Capri, had these Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber plates, and I am thinking of removing the ones I have, filling the drilled holes and running these. Any reason that one is a better setup than the other (other than the fact that you don't need to drill to install the MM plates?

Name:  20170704_105403_resized.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  103.1 KB

Last question, any idea why the plates are spaced up off of the strut tower by 3/4" or 1" (whatever the thickness of the spacers is)?

4 bolt setup is SN95 afaik. I see no reason to use those.....others may have thoughts.

MM plates are great. Afaik the spacers help lower ride height 3/4". Plates help with bump travel on lowered cars.

works out great with X2 style balljoints which move the spindle relative to the balljoint - which helps corrects bump travel when using SN95 spindles on a fox.

I run X2's and plates on my 86 with stock GT front springs and SN95 spindles and 245/45/17 tires. Frontend is about 1.5" lower than stock. A 255/55/17 would fit and drop the frontend another 0.3" or so.

I wondered if that wasn't what they did. Thanks for the clarification... looks like I will be welding up some holes

I have the 1995 spindles with the MM tubular lower control arms, which should have the X2 style balljoints (right?)... your ride height sounds exactly like what I am working towards.

Another thing I found strange, was that there were 2 spacers on each strut shaft with the strut nut sticking pretty high... is that typical when running these MM Caster/Camber plates?

X2 balljoints are a Steeda thing. They raise the spindle higher relative to the the lower control arm than stock sn95 ball joints. X2 ball joints are taller than sn95s.

You should go on Maximum's website and see if you can find a their instruction manual for the plates you have. They have some of the most thorough instructions of anyone out there.

Cale

Yea, after looking at MM's website, they use the SN95 ball joints, so according to them, if I run the 1994 with their ball joints, that improves bump steer tremendously.

I have never run the X2 ball joints, so I can't comment on them.

I have used MM C/C Plates on all my Foxes and Swear by them!

I also run SN95 spindles and brakes on all my Foxes, so I install the SN95 ball joints into the Fox arms. I can tell you from experience the OEM FORD ball joints are worth the added $$ over the aftermarket ball joints.

Maximum Motorsports sell OEM Ford SN95 ball joints at the best prices I have found. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller