Close

Default PTV Clearance issue

So I snagged a "roller ready" short block from a 1990 Bronco with low miles. I tapped the two holes for the spider and slid in an E-303 before putting on a pair of Edelbrock E-Street heads (with an lsx valve spring kit from Alex'S Parts).

I have a pushrod checker that goes from 6.125-7.50 and with it adjusted all the way down I still have the valves hitting the pistons. This is with the head gasket installed and the head torqued. I set the lash on the 1.6 roller rockers and went to hand crank it and felt it contact.

My question is I'm not sure if a shorter pushrod would fix it, because the cam would still lift it the same distance correct? I have read lots of threads with people using the E streets on 5.0s with all sorts of cam setups with no issues mentioned.

Any ideas on what's wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

Valve reliefs in the pistons? Being 6.125" is stock, I don't think you'd go much less unless those heads or block was cut majorly.

On a side note, tapping the valley and running the spider and dog bones isn't the best way to run a hydraulic roller in a non roller block. The lifter bosses are shorter on the non-roller blocks and it's possible with some RPM for the lifter to pop the dogbone and turn.. A link bar lifer is the best way.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Stock type pistons and big valves.
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

The e street heads come with either a 1.90 intake valve for stock piston engines or a 2.02 valve for guys with good pistons. You never mentioned which set you have?
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

I'm wondering if you have the cam indexed to the crank properly.

If the 5.0 block had spider tray bosses, it is a roller block.

Cale

Nah.. some blocks had just the untapped bosses. Sounds like what he has, since he had to tap them. Then he added the spyder and dog bones.. With the shorter lifter bores, it's a no-no in my book
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Subscribed, as I'm curious what valves he has.... I have a set of these same heads, my valves are 2.02, and I have stock valve relief 1993 pistons.... am I going to run into issues as well? Lift on my came is like .510.

mercuryzephyrz7, whats the lift on the E303?

He needs to pull the heads and clay the pistons to know for sure what kind of clearance issues there is.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302