Close

Default Modified spindles

Are the 87-93 4cylinder spindles the same as the earlier V8 spindles?
    I ask this because I have a set of 88 4 cylinder spindles that I kept for whatever.
    So my thought was this: take a pair of 4 cyl spindles to a machine shop and have the strut mounting pad machined down to mount 87-93 V8 struts giving me a wider range of front strut choices while keeping the smaller brakes so I can keep my original 15 inch Saleen wheels on my 85 Saleen. Anyone ever done this? Any thoughts? Negative or positive.

I can tell you that 87-93 4cyl LX rotors and bearings fit on 86GT spindles. The actual 86 GT rotors are a different part number but tended to retain a LOT more heat on repeated hard braking and had a greater tendency to crack.

Not sure about the spindles themselves.

I want to check into this further. I'm mostly worried about the geometry being different between the two.

I think they are the same. I can't imagine that Ford went through the trouble of changing the design. Having said that, I have a set of 84 GT spindles from my car if you need a set. PM me if you're interested. I'm not sure why shipping would cost but I think we can work it out.
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

Oh, yes, I remember this as well, the strut mounting pad is thicker on the pre 87 GT cars. Fwiw, I also have a set of 87+ 5.0 spindles lol
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

Thanks guys but I already have a set of both types.
    I was on MM's website and they say the spindles are the same from 79-93 but I might try to get to a Ford dealer and see if someone in the parts department can double check part numbers.

They are the same.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Thanks Haystack. I figured someone should know the answer.

15" wheels will fit over 11" brakes. Ford did it on the Mustang. Do the Saleen wheels have different clearance in certain spots as compared to 10-hole wheels?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    15" wheels will fit over 11" brakes. Ford did it on the Mustang. Do the Saleen wheels have different clearance in certain spots as compared to 10-hole wheels?
    Good point. I forgot about ten hole wheels being 15". I don't know about the Ssleen wheels clearing. I will have to look.