Close

Default Uh oh...removed fender-broke bolts

So I took off the drivers front fender and broke two bolts. They were pretty rusted...broke with just 1/4 drive ratchet. I was trying to prevent this.

SO what's the easy fix? One is broken off in the fender. Looks like it holds the lower front fender to airdam piece. The other is broken off at the bottom of the bumper cover. Seems to go into a metal brace tied to the top one. Does this brace come out of the urethane cover? If it does, I figure the easy fix is get a bolt the same size and tack weld it to the bracket.

But I am sure this is very common as these are low and probably rust a LOT.

Name:  IMG_20181021_095836.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  49.2 KBName:  IMG_20181021_095653.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  33.6 KB
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post

SO what's the easy fix? One is broken off in the fender. Looks like it holds the lower front fender to airdam piece. The other is broken off at the bottom of the bumper cover. Seems to go into a metal brace tied to the top one. Does this brace come out of the urethane cover? If it does, I figure the easy fix is get a bolt the same size and tack weld it to the bracket.

But I am sure this is very common as these are low and probably rust a LOT.
    I replaced the studs by tacking in new 1/4" bolts. The metal piece does come out of the bumper cover. This is a 79 without lower air dam.

Awesome! Thanks for the pics!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes