Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Photobucket can officially Bite Me

Their website was pretty good back in 2012 and has gotten progressively more and more AND MORE unusable and ponderously slow due to all the ads. At one point, there was a limit to the number of views your pictures could have in a month and I exceeded that so I paid I think $20 a year to up the limit, very reasonable and you won't find a single complaint I had about that. As of some time this week, they want $400 A YEAR to host pictures on other sites. For $100 a year you can LINK photos BACK to them but not host them as I always did here. So what was FREE 4 years ago is now somehow worth $400 a year when storage is essentially free these days? With SAN storage and Solid State Drive pricing going down, not up they are going the other direction. Nuhuhh. Not going to happen.

Are there any heavy photo posters on here? What do you guys use?
    Last edited by homer302; 07-05-2017 at 01:05 PM.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

That's ridiculous. Surely their decision won't last. Who in their right mind would pay that as a casual user? I'm not a heavy user, but I use Google Photos. It's not perfect, but is free, at least for my limited use. However, I've noticed that some linked pics in my older posts no longer appear. I assume something changed on Google's side. Also, occasionally they change the way you share photo links and I have to relearn how to post them here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Ive literally used PB for over 3k photos documenting the build and overall progression of my car (1987 tudor CV) on another car forum. So much for anyone seeing them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Ive literally used PB for over 3k photos documenting the build and overall progression of my car (1987 tudor CV) on another car forum. So much for anyone seeing them anymore.
    That's where I am! I have a build thread that went 4 years! I guess it really would not have mattered because I am not paying it but they didn't even send out an email saying they were going to take down all your pictures. I have about 2,000 I think and they are all gone now. ALL of them. You just log in one day and POOF, they are gone. It's like Ransomware. I have to pay $400 to get them back. Guess what. good luck PB, you won't get it from me!

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

I just got done deleting my account and every photo I had on their site. Looking into hosting my own.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Yup - they sent me the same email after they "updated" their terms of service. My email response back to them was to "go phuck themselves and delete my account". Haven't heard back....

I'm basically done posting any major amount of photos. I have another account on another photo sharing site but it's clunky at best.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

I had my brother load all my pictures from my photobucket onto a memory stick.

Photobucket may be committing suicide: http://photobucket.com/p500/

If this is for real, I expect a MAJOR class action suit, as it will grossly degrade virtually every forum on the web.

In the meantime, don't delete your stuff: it does NOT punish PB and probably can't be restored.

YMMV

Mike

What kind of business model are they running on? Hardly anybody's going to pay their fees, and when all the customers leave all the advertisers will follow. What is their source of income then? I just don't understand the thinking. Some bean counter somewhere must have convinced them it was a good move, but even a half wit can see it's a disaster for the brand.

It really sucks that they made it retroactive and wiped out photos that had been in threads for years. I didn't actually lose anything as all my photos that were on PB were already backed up on my computer, but it still sucks to see every photo I ever posted gone from my threads.

Life goes on though, I'll lose no sleep over it. I'm going to try flickr I think as it's what most of the guys at another forum suggested.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

The email went into my spam folder, so i didn't see it at first. My response was this: "You really think ANY of your customers is going to go for this? F*** off."

It's sad because like many of you, I built my build thread with a lot of images for anyone that wanted to do the same as a resource. Now that's gone. Greedy a-holes!

This is just like when cardomain reformatted only times a bazillion in impact!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Supporter

I've been using PB for over four years now. It's been a love, hate experience all along the way; especially not paying for ad free.

I never got any email form PB stating the T&C changed that I can find. My [IMG] links all seems to currently working for my threads but I see a couple of yours above that have the links broken (hijacked). I do not pay PB for anything right now but had the "free" 2GB account plus got 8GB "free" a while ago (for uploading the app on my phone) so not sure right now why I am not affected as I have a 1000+ I'm sure. Canada?

As of right now, I can get on the PB site but I cannot see my folders and images. Seems like one of the typical daily issues that I have with PB and maybe not related to the new T&C. Regardless, not sure how to proceed right now. I am going to wait it out to see what happens.

I'm not a fan of using vBulletin or FEP to upload to. It isn't efficient either from my limited use of uploading direct to the site.

I hope they get something resolved or back track a little. Sorry for everyone's troubles but like Mike suggested above, I'd not jump and delete everything quite yet just in case....

My email response was returned as "address not found" so, i went to their facebook page and messaged them. It's actually kind of funny.

Me: You greedy a**holes. This is bull****.

Them: Hello Brad. If this update has had a negative affect on your experience, you have our sincerest apologies. Our goal is to ensure your satisfaction and we would be happy to answer any account questions you may have a this time. Thanks.

Me: It most definitely HAS affected my experience negatively. I hope you reconsider going this direction as a lot of people depend on your original business model, even if it had become almost unusable with all the ads popping up. Almost unusable is still better than unaffordable though. No one is going to pay that.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

It appears I just lost all of my build threads due to this...or at least, the pics in them. I have 4 build threads I update on a regular basis. Even if PB restores the pics, I won't continue with them...paid subscription or free. No one wants to risk having all of their photo links disappear again in the future. I think this was a business plan all along. Get people dependant on their "free services" and then yank the rug out from underneath them and hold their media for ransom.

I didn't mean I "lost" any photos for what it's worth. I have 3 copies of all of my photos on 3 different drives in 2 different physical locations (plus I used to have photobucket as a backup) so I am good. But for anyone without a copy of your own photo, they are now the property of Photobucket and you can not get to them to download them any longer. I think it's a strong word maybe but essentially, they are, in fact holding them hostage for money.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Didn't imageshack do this years ago? I guess all my threads will be pic less now. This is total BS

I host all of my stuff on https://www.flickr.com
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551

I just don't have it in me to go and edit tons of pics over years of posting to the same build threads. Photobucket just committed suicide, in my opinion. Everyone they're trying to scam money from are mad. They can't easily change their mind, because I'm sure some of their users already paid up. If they lower their price, then people still won't want to use them because who knows when they'll raise the price, since they obviously can't be trusted.

Just signed up to Flickr. I haven't been locked out yet of PB yet, but I have been having a lot of trouble uploading my pictures for some time now. Seems really stupid of PB to basically ransom peoples pictures.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40492668

That's crazy. I hadn't thought about retailers using it. Ebayers makes sense though.

They say you're not supposed to rely on stuff like Photobucket, but there are many situations where this is the only way you can have pictures in your ad/post/whatever. Apparently you need to spread them out over several to be the safest. You never know what can happen.
    Last edited by ZephyrEFI; 07-05-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

When did this happen? I have used PB for YEARS and didn't receive any such notice, and I don't see that any pictures that I have linked to recently have disappeared. Maybe I'm not a "power user" and don't meet a certain level of 3rd party linking of my pictures?

AND SCRATCH THAT....just noticed in my old threads about my 1983 GT resurrection and my detailing thread about my '82 GT, pics are all held for ransom. That's pathetic.
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 07-05-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Wait a minute!

This has nothing to do with Photobucket.....just Photoucket, the knock off site, as stated in the thread title.

Almost had mass hysteria here for a small misunderstanding!

Move along....nothing to see here.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    Just signed up to Flickr. I haven't been locked out yet of PB yet, but I have been having a lot of trouble uploading my pictures for some time now. Seems really stupid of PB to basically ransom peoples pictures.

Jess
    Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    When did this happen? I have used PB for YEARS and didn't receive any such notice, and I don't see that any pictures that I have linked to recently have disappeared. Maybe I'm not a "power user" and don't meet a certain level of 3rd party linking of my pictures?

AND SCRATCH THAT....just noticed in my old threads about my 1983 GT resurrection and my detailing thread about my '82 GT, pics are all held for ransom. That's pathetic.
    I have yet to try uploading anything to PB since this news about the new T&C came out. As of today, my links stil work. Weird although from the info I've been Googling, so many Forums and more are affected and that eventually PB should catch up to all people who third party link

It's not a matter of if but when....I do feel like Broncojunkie; I'm not sure if I have it in me to try to replace so much in my posts right now

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Too bad the BBC article didn't mention FEP for a little free advertising. I looked at my favorite build thread (homer302's 84 1/2 GT Turbo) yesterday and it's just not the same without all of the photos. It's going to take a little time to recover from this unless PB comes to their senses. I can understand them blocking views from commercial sites like eBay and Amazon but to punish everyone who shares images on forums & other non-commercial sites is stupid...especially at the price point they chose.

Maybe we should host our own image server. We could call it antiphotobucket.com haha
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

I think it has to do with the amount of pictures linked. I have several posts lately where I included one or a few pics that are still working fine....linked from Photobucket. Its the threads with several pics that are being held ransom. There must be a photo limit or length of time limit where they become jacked?
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 331
Size:  6.8 KB

We should start a fundraiser and buy the domain name out from under them?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast