Close

Thread: Electric fan

Default Electric fan

Looking for some knowledge here, I bought a used SN95 fan from the junkyard but it's way too big to fit between my radiator and water pump. Will contour fans work better? The car is an 84 LTD LX with an SVE aluminum radiator. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

That's interesting, I ran an SN95 fan for years in my Zephyr. At least that's what the guy who sold it to me told me it was.

Anyway, following because I'm having my own fan fitment issue right now (Mark VIII) that is not typical for a Fox for what you find around the web

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Contour fans fit great. Perfect width, height leaves a tube or 2 outside the shroud.

Ed

"The Dude abides."

Well that's why I was so stumped when I tried to set it in there. Everything I've read about it says it fits with room to spare, but with the increased depth of the SVE radiator there is no chance. It hits the water pump pulley no matter how I try to spin it to fit. I ordered a contour fan from the classifieds so I'll let you know how it goes.

1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Quote Originally Posted by wdanison43103 View Post
    Well that's why I was so stumped when I tried to set it in there. Everything I've read about it says it fits with room to spare, but with the increased depth of the SVE radiator there is no chance. It hits the water pump pulley no matter how I try to spin it to fit. I ordered a contour fan from the classifieds so I'll let you know how it goes.

I've had a guy suggest i mess with my engine mounts as if maybe I put them on the wrong side or whatever so my engine ended up too far forward. I wouldn't put that past myself. Anyway, thought I'd pass that along. I haven't tried it yet, but I will.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

As a point of reference, I've got about 5 1/2" of space between my radiator fins and water pump. I'm using a Flex-A-Lite Black Magic fan with room to spare. My situation may be different though as I'm using the I6 K-member with F-150 motor mounts for my 302. This is on a '80 Fairmont.

I got my dual fan off a 2000's V6 Cougar. I think it is probably the same as the Contour, but it's thin and moves a lot of air.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

dual contour/ Cougar fan with a flex a lite 33054 controller. You can them up to have the high fans come on or 2 speed if you want. I jsut have the high fans come on. you just bypass the resistor on the fan.
    very easy wiring- run a dedicated 10 gauge power wire with at least a 40 amp fuse to the battery or solenoid and a 10 gauge ground to the chassis, 10 gauge to fan power and ground and then a 14 gauge to key on power and to the A/C high side so the fan kicks on whenever the A/C is turned on
    Cools down my 500 hp Fox and is dead reliable