Close

Default Adjustable or non adjustable clutch cable

I recently had work done to my 85 gt used tranny aluminum quadrant and a firewall adjuster.and an adjustable clutch cable..I guess the cable got routed in a fasion were it is very hard to press from in the car and it happened to get wrapped around the steering..I don't know what they did when putting it in..anywho it some it's toast. .question I have is what cable to use. Adjustable or non adjustable and what size cable thanks.
    85 ford mustang gt 5.0 h.o.5 spd
    68 chevy nova SS 350 (slightly modded)
    92 ford ranger prerunner

FEP Supporter

It could depend on which quadrant you've used. I'd ask the quadrant manufacturer for their recommendation and go from there.
    '85 GT

I've gone through a lot of clutch cables on my car. I have yet to see an adjustable cable that was any good. The cable I have now is far and away the best I've found. It's a non-adjustable from Maximum Motorsports. I don't think you can buy a better cable. It's silky smooth and a few inches longer than most cables which gives you some latitude in how you route it.

You can buy a cheaper cable but I don't think you can buy a better cable at any price.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/maximum-motorsports-clutch-cable.html#bvReviewWrapper

408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Thanks mmb.....and for the question of qikgts. It's seem to be a pro 5.0 if that is,a brand...its,a,single hook quadrant. With a,fire wall adjuster ..the adjustable cable I had I bought with the quadrant and adjuster many years ago..anywho..I'll look into maximum motorsports..I like their parts ..have the strut brace upper and the 4 pt g track bar under the car..thanks again I'll let yiu know if and when it's back up and on the road..hopefully soon..
    85 ford mustang gt 5.0 h.o.5 spd
    68 chevy nova SS 350 (slightly modded)
    92 ford ranger prerunner

FEP Senior Member

I have used the early factory style adjustable clutch cables for years, never had a problem. However it only works with the early (78 to 81 or 82) non quadrent style pedal setup. Used the same cable for 12 years on my Mustang, still keep it as a spare.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

Ford OEM cable, firewall adjuster, quick release quadrant and a slightly greased steel input shaft on the tranny working a KC clutch. Smooth as silk.
    84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.

The MM cables are GREAT!

Extra long to go around headers. Silky smooth.

I ran the majority of the miles in my car with the stock 86 setup. They work but require maintenance on springs and grease on teeth or they tear themselves apart.

The MM kit comes with a shim so it is usually spot on with most adjustable quadrants. I have a UPR with 3 attachment points and a firewall adjuster. The cable it came with had an adjuster on the cable end but the cable was JUNK. I wish I would have adapted my stock cable to the firewall adjuster and shimmed from there as needed, but I didn't and I tossed to cable I had because it had a TON of miles - about 250K miles.

my best advice is get the MM cable.

If you need a shim on the cable cable down on the bellhousing, knock the center out of an old pilot bearing. Perfect size..... or just use the whole bearing. I had one fail and the center went into the back of the crank. Ruined my T5 when it happened. Thus it was there and I wanted a better shim for my cable than just washers.

Ideally add an adjustable pivot ball or shim behind the flywheel and you won't need shims on the cable. Setup right to start with is when things work the best.