Close

Thread: Oil Level Gauge

Default Oil Level Gauge

Hey guys,

I've got a 140MPH cluster and not too long ago the oil level would intermittently not show oil pressure. Level used to be fine before this issue started. Sometimes the oil pressure shows, but shows pretty low. However most times it shows no pressure.

I changed out the oil sender but no change. Had the car at Lamotta Performance; no issues with oil pressure detected. Jake (shop owner) says it may be a module.

Any thoughts?
    1986 Ford Mustang - 1996 Explorer motor, AFR 165s, TFS2 Cam, BBK 76mm MAF, Accufab TB, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster Series 44 mufflers, 5 Lug, etc...

I would look into the Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator on the back of the instrument cluster.

Quote Originally Posted by fascat View Post
    I would look into the Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator on the back of the instrument cluster.
    Thank you.
    1986 Ford Mustang - 1996 Explorer motor, AFR 165s, TFS2 Cam, BBK 76mm MAF, Accufab TB, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster Series 44 mufflers, 5 Lug, etc...

No problem. Hopefully it is something simple like that.

Hope so. Car is at body shop so will try when I get it back

Is it the original wiring to the sending unit ? The insulation on the wire often crumbles away.
    Is the instrument cluster original too ? Clean the electrical contacts with a contact cleaner/rejuvenator. (Like the stuff used on guitar amp/mixer potentiometers.)
    Don't just spray it on. Spray the cleaner in a little cup, then use a little brush to scrub the contacts with the cleaner. And rinse and repeat. Have paper towels ready to catch any run off. The safest way is to disassemble the cluster so no cleaner gets on the front gauges or plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by jessesandy View Post
    Is it the original wiring to the sending unit ? The insulation on the wire often crumbles away.
    Is the instrument cluster original too ? Clean the electrical contacts with a contact cleaner/rejuvenator. (Like the stuff used on guitar amp/mixer potentiometers.)
    Don't just spray it on. Spray the cleaner in a little cup, then use a little brush to scrub the contacts with the cleaner. And rinse and repeat. Have paper towels ready to catch any run off. The safest way is to disassemble the cluster so no cleaner gets on the front gauges or plastic.
    Yes, as far as I am aware they are the original wires. I haven't changed any of them since I got the car 7 years ago. I do have the cleaner you're talking about.

I changed out the 85 MPH cluster for the current 140 MPH probably 6 years ago.

I will look at this before buying and changing the voltage regulator. I see AM has a repro.