Close

Default CFI to Carb or EFI

I have an (almost) all original LTD LX and I'm looking to figure out which would be the better path to take. The car is my project/ good weather cruiser. I want to achieve the sleeper factor with it and want to what you guys think would be the better route. I have an 86 GT T5 car that I've been robbing parts from plus an early explorer GT40 motor on the stand. As it stands I have nearly everything to do the EFI conversion but the wiring is a little daunting for someone who hasn't attempted anything of this scope. Would it just be easier to sell off the efi stuff for a carb swap? Only looking for about 300hp and decent fuel mileage. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

The explorer stuff with the gt cam should get ya to 300hp. With 24# injectors and a 93 cobra setup, it should drive and idle like stock.

Personally if you have the time space and tools to do the wiring, it is actually kinda fun for me. If the 86 ran and you got all the stuff, id just go efi. You have all the stuff already.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

EFI. Swapping them whole harness over makes it easier.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Stay with a carb. There is nothing to be gained by adding a 1986 EFI system as it doesn't do any better of a job than a carb of any type. You will spend hours and hours doing wiring for no gain.
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

I haven't played much with a carb, actually just bought my first carbed car a few weeks ago. That being said, its almost more of a pain to add a carb to a cfi car then it is sefi. The wiring is nearly identical, just gotta add a few more wires for the extra injectors, and that is practically a plug and play step. Everything else should be more or less where it needs to be.

That being said, i have a full sefi parts car, and i am contemplating a carbed swap right now.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

You can do like I'm gonna do with my 83 T-Top and go with Fitech fuel injection. Wiring is simple, setup isn't too bad and you get all the benefits of fuel injection. Can't wait to get mine. I'm no carb guy either.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0
    1983 Mustang L T-Top Coupe

What's wrong with the CFI? I've got in my 84 GT and it works great.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    What's wrong with the CFI? I've got in my 84 GT and it works great.
    It has issues at idle and gets piss poor fuel mileage. I had an 86 gt with a t5 and 3.73 that would knock down 25 mpg. The LTD is only getting 17ish on a good day. Plus I have the stuff to do the swap (including MAF, forgot to mention that)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

EFI will be more forgiving and tolerant. The swap isn't terrible, and I hate wiring. Theres plenty of information on here to make it a breeze, especially if you have a donor car.
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Haven't made a whole lot of progress on mine. Majority of the wiring is done under the hood.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0
    1983 Mustang L T-Top Coupe