Close

Default 1981 T Top Restoration

Hey guys I'm on my 6th Foxbody and this time I'm doing what I've always done 1981 T Top Unibody is in good shape has a 5.0 that is ok but the interior and body is pretty banged up. I have a couple questions I'm hoping you all can cover

- What year tail lights will work on my 81?
    - What year T Tops will swap with my 81?
    - Where can I get external window trim?

thanks in advance

1979-1982 tail lights are all identical. You can use 1983-1993 tail lights if you want, but I believe you will have to modify the bulb locations and maybe their exit points through the rear end...that part I am not positive about but it can certainly be done.

Pretty sure any t-tops from 1979 (or whatever the first year was) through 1988 should fit, however there are interior trim differences. I'm not sure if the "locking holes" were any different causing compatibility issues, but definite interior trim differences from 1979-1983 and then 1985/6 and think 1987/88

Can't answer about external window trim on the reproduction side (NPD maybe?)...but you should be able to find a decent set at a Pick n Pull yard. Depending on where you are located, Frank-n-Stang (Frank Ross) on ebay and the Fox Body Parts/Classified pages on Facebook would probably have some as he has been parting out junk fox Mustangs for years. He is here in Franklin, IN.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

As stated above, the 79-82 Mustang lights are the same. You can also fit 79-82 Capri tail lights as they are a direct bolt in, but a different style lens. The 83-93 housings and tail light panels are different due to the changes in the bulb locations of the lenses. I don't recommend the swap due to the differences. Yes, you can make it work, but it will require modifications or completely swapping the tail light panel on the body.

1981 was the first year for the T-tops. As stated above there are some slight differences, but the tops should interchange without issues. The seals seems to be the biggest headache in regards to what was actually installed and what matches up with the aftermarket.

Which window trim are you referring to? I assume if you have a T-top you are referring to the flat trim just below the exterior dew wipes/belt trim. If so, to my knowledge the trim is not reproduced at this time so you will have to source either NOS, or good used parts. That trim was used on the T-top cars, the Pace Car, and the convertibles. It might have been part of a trim package too, but FoxChassis or someone else will have to verify that. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller