Close

Default Harmonic balancer question

Hello:

Since the search function is still AWOL, what is the size of the large bolt inside the damper? I'm replacing the timing cover gasket and need to remove it of course. Have to buy a socket likely. Want to buy the right one. Plus the right puller.

Thanks!

It's 15/16

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Yes it is indeed 15/16, I know because I put a damper on just this morning. I used a balancer/steering wheel puller kit from oreillys, it worked well and was only like $20.
    Tony

Found out after posting but still appreciate the info. Anyone suggest a good way to remove the crankshaft bolt? Internet has videos about using a breaker bar wedged in there and cranking the engine for a second but seems risky. Definitely no air tools available.

If I need to break it loose without an impact, I just thread two longer bolts into the pulley bolt holes and use a large pry bar or screwdriver to hold the crank from turning. Use two adjacent bolt holes so the bar does not block the balancer bolt.

Great idea. Seeing the holes in the balancer I thought something like that would work to hold the crank still. Maybe a piece of metal with holes that line up could be bolted on and that could be my counter wedge. Shall try tomorrow.

Just wrap a belt or nylon tie strap around it and tie it off. You will bust your knuckles trying to hold it otherwise.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Put the car in 5th and block the wheels.

FEP Senior Member

FWIW I've used the starter bump method to loosen crank bolts on Subaru's where there is no way to easily access the flywheel with a traditional holder. It isn't as scary as it sounds. Just make sure the socket is on fully and sqaurely. You only have to bump it for a split second.

Otherwise you can use one of these, but it usually requires two people.
    https://www.zoro.com/gearwrench-flyw...FY-MaQodvsUBwQ

FEP Senior Member

fwiw do NOT use the starter to loosen the bolt. i have had friends in the past that had a busted crank later using that method.

I had no problem removing the bolt by putting it in 2nd and setting the brake. The bolt was not stupidly tight. 18" breaker bar was all I needed. Don't forget to pull the washer!
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."