Close

Default Fuel tank pics for 83 2.3?

Does anyone happen to have any pics of a fuel tank from an 83 2.3? I'll be installing Fitech fuel injection soon and am trying to figure out the best way to add a return line. I haven't had time to drop the tank to see how everything is set up. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0
    1983 Mustang L T-Top Coupe

I'm assuming the tank would be the same as a carbed GT but I could be wrong.

I didn't use the Fitech kit, but I did install the Fast Ez-EFI which is essentially the same thing. I got a good used tank/fuel pump hanger and pump out of an 87? EFI car to save the hassle of using the carb tank. This allows the use of the proper tank sending unit to gauge.

On my 84 GT, it already had a supply and return line on it ( I assume an 83 mustang would also) so I utilized them at this time since I'm pretty well stock. The difference between the carb and EFI lines is that the carb lines come out on the drivers side where the EFI lines are on the passengers side. I did have to modify the supply line from the tank to the body lines as it needed a filter added, so I patched in a piece of the later EFI lines and installed the filter/hanger above the rear end like the later model cars.

So far, I have had no issues with the fuel system running it this way.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Name:  DSC01167.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  148.9 KB

Here is a pic of the tank I refurbished and used in my car. This is an EFI tank out of an 87?. The main difference is the carb tank does not have the hole in the center of the top where the fuel level sender goes. The carbed cars had the sender built into the pickup assembly.

If you want to retain a factory in tank pump and not use an external pump, you will need a tank like this so you can use the level sender.
    Brock

I'm a bit confused because LMR shows 2 different sending units. One they show for a 5.0 has no return. The other just shows 82-84 (no engine specification) and has a return.

Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0

That sounds about right for these years of cars. It's always something odd.

My 84 had the supply/return lines running down the passenger side, crossing over to the drivers side at about the front of the drive shaft and then popping through the drivers side fender area where they were hooked up to the mechanical fuel pump.

I guess they could all be different, it's just the way mine was. Here is a pic of where they hooked up to the sender before the EFI upgrade.

Name:  IMG_2306.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  119.2 KB
    Brock

I'll have to get in touch with the guy i bought her from to see if he remembers. I don't recall seeing a return line along side the feed like in your pic. Been awhile since I've been underneath of her, but that gives me something to look for before dropping the tank. Thanks!

Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0

Well, found out today there's no return line. Ugh! Ordered a new sending unit from LMR.

Jeremy

2016 Mustang PP GT
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0