Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Both wheels look great. The 10th Anny wheels are some great looking wheels and the reason they are so popular. I still like them, but their popularity makes me want different wheels personally.

The LM style wheels are great wheels and that style is quite common on BMW's but I still like the look of them and they look good on the Foxes IMHO.

Yes, the 13" calipers and rotors will fit the 17" wheels . . . unless they have a small barrel then you could have an issue!

Name:  Pace Car.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  152.6 KB
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Both wheels look great. The 10th Anny wheels are some great looking wheels and the reason they are so popular. I still like them, but their popularity makes me want different wheels personally.

The LM style wheels are great wheels and that style is quite common on BMW's but I still like the look of them and they look good on the Foxes IMHO.

Yes, the 13" calipers and rotors will fit the 17" wheels . . . unless they have a small barrel then you could have an issue!
    I agree on all counts... and for the same reason you mentioned, I typically choose another design. Its kind of like the Torque Thrusts in the Hot Rod world... they still look great, but so many people have them that it becomes less desirable when looking for something... I prefer something more original if I can afford it

Sweet Pace Car, is that a pic of yours (I noticed you list one in your sig, so I figured it was)?

Quote Originally Posted by vdubn View Post
    Sweet Pace Car, is that a pic of yours (I noticed you list one in your sig, so I figured it was)?
    Yes, that's my PC that unfortunately is sitting right now due to a blown motor and other Foxes in front of it for restorations/repair.

I am running the 03/04 Cobra brakes up front and the full 03/04 Cobra IRS and brakes out back with Cobra R 17X9's on all 4 corners.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Another question related to running the larger wheels in the back. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it will be necessary to run a Panhard bar, and there was mention from Maximum Motorsports that the PH bar could contact one of the rear exhaust pipes. It made me wonder two things (since I don't have my exhaust yet):

1. What do folks typically do to clearance the exhaust for the PH bar?

2. Is there any chance that there could be interference with the tailpipe and the back side of the tires? I have seen where the pipe can rub into the fuel tank cover, but didn't know how close the exhaust gets to the inside wall of the tire?

From what I remember MM designed their Panhard setup to work with most major exhaust manufacturers offerings for the Fox Mustangs if using 2.5" tail pipes or smaller. You might be able to get the 3" pipes to fit in some cases, but more than likely will have clearance issues due to the larger diameter pipes.

As stated that was MOST Major manufacturers so there could be issues with some while not others. I personally like the exhaust setups that allow you to adjust the tail pipes over the rear axle and around the fuel tank such as the ole Mac system and the newer Magnaflow setups. Others have similar offerings, but those are the first two off the top of my head.

As for your specific questions:

1. I would read thru the install instructions from MM website and see what they advise. I have not noticed much discussion here in regards to there being major clearance issues, so I believe most of the time they are simple fixes if any at all.

2. Yes, I have seen issues with the tires and exhaust wanting to occupy the same location and space due to wider/larger tires and larger diameter exhaust or differently routed exhaust pipes. I just had to tweak the exhaust pipes on my Road Racer to help improve the clearance between the tire and the tail pipe as the pipe wanted to rub slightly against the tires. Nothing that a small amount of tweaking and adjusting wouldn't fix, but was still needed. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

MAC kits have a fitting right over the axle with separate tailpipes. Makes tweaking things really easy as Trey said. I bought a kit in 1997. The mufflers rusted to nothing after 200K miles.

The pipes are still intact but no longer nice.

Running them with flowmasters until I decide what I want for a new kit. Pypebombs or something similar probably.....

The 2.5" MAC kit had mufflers that sounded deep and smooth without the dreaded drone.

I just bought the Flowmaster American Thunder cat back, and after reading a bit more on the MM site, they said the same thing you said, so I think I should be safe with the FMaster exhaust.

It looks like I am about ready to start my build thread... which forum do folks prefer the build threads be posted to? General Tech, or ???

BTW - Thanks a ton for everyone's help here, its invaluable, and has helped me through this build tremendously.

I'm running the MM panhard bar and torque arm and was able to fit tail pipes over and through all of that. For other reasons, I custom fabricated my 2 1/2" exhaust from mandrel bends and pieces of straight pipe. It was a tight fit to get them over the axle with all that hardware in there though. Lots of cutting and welding to make it work. I don't know how stock pre-bent tail pipes would fit, but there is room to get them through if you are willing to do a bit of work.

Name:  2015-10-14 12.34.44.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  46.4 KBName:  2015-10-14 12.35.01.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  45.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 07-21-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12