Close

1985 GT- “Stock-ish” 5.0 motor, AOD/ trans brake. 12.68 @ 10131mph.

Yeah, the 86's were rated @200HP, they got the bump in 87. Sweet ride, I had 2 brand new 86's, just like that but with t-tops and gray interior.

She's a beauty........20k?...ouch.

.... prices for the best Fox Bodies, including four-eyes, are clearly rising .....
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

$19,999 is a fair asking/starting price this car, as long as the overall condition matches the 13k miles. Assuming it does....anything between $16-19k would be fair for both parties IMO.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I was literally going to buy this car. Then the day came to have it taken to ford for an inspection scheduled the day before. Scheduled for 2pm and at 145 seller calls and says it has a rough idle and egr valve was replaced. Then the car needed new gas. So they dropped tank and so forth and so on. Never made the inspection so I just let it be. Also, it has undercoating all over the bottom. That wasn't in the ad. The undercoating is everywhere. Brake lines, tranny, exhaust. Really killed a perfect car. Anyways, just wanted to let everyone know.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmynhier View Post
    .... Also, it has undercoating all over the bottom. That wasn't in the ad. The undercoating is everywhere. Brake lines, tranny, exhaust. Really killed a perfect car. Anyways, just wanted to let everyone know.
    I'm with you on that. I guess northern folks are used to the undercoating, but I can't understand paying this kind of money for a car with undercoating. To me, a big part of the appeal of a low mileage car (and even higher mileage cars that were well-cared for) is a clean undercarriage and engine compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn V View Post
    I'm with you on that. I guess northern folks are used to the undercoating, but I can't understand paying this kind of money for a car with undercoating. To me, a big part of the appeal of a low mileage car (and even higher mileage cars that were well-cared for) is a clean undercarriage and engine compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many mustangs came with undercoating stock...
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

I have two cars that are undercoated....don't bother me a bit. Mileage has nothing to do with it...its all regional and just something that was very common by dealers here in the 70's and 80's in the rust belt. If you are looking for a low mile car to collect and enjoy, it has no factor IMO. Now...if you are looking for car that looks like it lived in a bubble all it's life and plan on jacking it up with mirrors on the floor at a show....then that undercoating does come off with plenty of WD-40, brushes and elbow grease.

The good news on this car...it was UNDERcoated and not FULLYcoated! By that I mean, at least the engine bay is still white and not sludged.

Personally, for a collector car with this low of mileage....I would not need a Ford dealer to inspect anything, I would do my own inspection. And a rough idle or EGR or whatever would not bother me. As much as cars like that sit...that is just a little winter tune-up project for me to work on from time to time. Just like rebuilding a carb on my 82 or 85....just common, occasional maintenance.
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 06-29-2017 at 03:02 PM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    I have two cars that are undercoated....don't bother me a bit. Mileage has nothing to do with it...its all regional and just something that was very common by dealers here in the 70's and 80's in the rust belt. If you are looking for a low mile car to collect and enjoy, it has no factor IMO. Now...if you are looking for car that looks like it lived in a bubble all it's life and plan on jacking it up with mirrors on the floor at a show....then that undercoating does come off with plenty of WD-40, brushes and elbow grease.

The good news on this car...it was UNDERcoated and not FULLYcoated! By that I mean, at least the engine bay is still white and not sludged.

Personally, for a collector car with this low of mileage....I would not need a Ford dealer to inspect anything, I would do my own inspection. And a rough idle or EGR or whatever would not bother me. As much as cars like that sit...that is just a little winter tune-up project for me to work on from time to time. Just like rebuilding a carb on my 82 or 85....just common, occasional maintenance.

it bothers me tremendously when a seller makes every excuse in the book to not have a third party inspection. Maybe that's ok with you but for me it's a huge red flag. Especially, when I am over 500 miles away. I guess my trust ends where my checkbook begins.

I didn't say that. I said I would not need a dealer to do an inspection. I would do my own, or have a friend from the car hobby in the area do it. But I WOULD do an inspection....and if the seller would not allow it, then sure that is a red flag. Your response above did not convey that the seller was refusing/avoiding an inspection, rather a few items came up that he was fixing. Any items like that are things I would prefer to fix myself so I know it's done right and with good, quality parts....preferably NOS or Motorcraft on a low mile original car.

BTW the car sold for $17,100 on ebay...assuming the buyer follows through.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    I didn't say that. I said I would not need a dealer to do an inspection. I would do my own, or have a friend from the car hobby in the area do it. But I WOULD do an inspection....and if the seller would not allow it, then sure that is a red flag. Your response above did not convey that the seller was refusing/avoiding an inspection, rather a few items came up that he was fixing. Any items like that are things I would prefer to fix myself so I know it's done right and with good, quality parts....preferably NOS or Motorcraft on a low mile original car.

BTW the car sold for $17,100 on ebay...assuming the buyer follows through.

my first thought wasn't to have Ford do the inspection. It was the last resort. I probably called 20 shops in the area and all said no they wouldn't go out to see it. Finally, I resorted to the dealership.
    BTW, I would have done the inspection. But, the distance was the obvious constraint in the equation.

That is where this forum comes in handy All you gotta do is ask...there are TONS of knowledgeable and great folks in this forum all over the country that are willing to go an extra mile to lay eyes on a car for fellow memebers. I have personally inspected 3-4 cars for various folks over the years and will continue to do so. Traveling all over IL, IN and MI (where this one is/was) I've got to see many Fox Mustangs for sale from ebay/craigslist to offer up opinions when needed.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I can second Jason's comments, from a slightly different perspective. I have not called on a FEP member to look at a car, but I have been able to get parts (some of them rare or hard to get) from many FEP folks. Parts they had, or knew where they were. Some of these folks I have since had the privilege of meeting.

Our beloved four eyes, while common in their day, are not so common now, and certainly are not on the top of the Mustang food chain. So there is a sense of "we are all in this together" which I like and appreciate, making most people willing to help fellow members.

In my case, I have called on a friend I met at a MCA show in another part of the country to look at a car for me.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    I can second Jason's comments, from a slightly different perspective. I have not called on a FEP member to look at a car, but I have been able to get parts (some of them rare or hard to get) from many FEP folks. Parts they had, or knew where they were. Some of these folks I have since had the privilege of meeting.

Our beloved four eyes, while common in their day, are not so common now, and certainly are not on the top of the Mustang food chain. So there is a sense of "we are all in this together" which I like and appreciate, making most people willing to help fellow members.

In my case, I have called on a friend I met at a MCA show in another part of the country to look at a car for me.
    I did once. A fellow member in Colorado volunteered to check out a car for me that was local to him. He even test drove it. I wound up not getting it due to hail damage. I also volunteered to look at a Turbo GT that was local to me for someone that lived out of state. Our community is very helpful when the need arises.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible