Close

Default Repairs are up to me now....

Hello... when I learned to drive my dad made all 3 of his girls learn to check and change our oil, change a tire and put on tire chains. I have always been fairly independent and fix a lot of things around the house on my own as I was a single mom for many 8 yrs before I met my husband. I have now found myself single again..well widowed as my husband took his own life last month after setting fire to our home. About a month before he had done this he smashed out the windows of my 2001 3500 Sliverado's windows..... all of them except the back window.. My 13 yr old daughter and I have replaced all the windows ourselves and now I have another problem with the truck. When he set fire to the house I was at work and the only truck key I had was in the house. The house was a total loss and with it I lost my truck key. I took the vin# to 2 different dealers and they cut me a total of 4 different keys and none of them work. I was told that the ignition must have been changed at some point before I got the truck. I was also told that I would have to get a new one. So my genus friends said to "youtube" it. So I did. It didn't look too hard and after putting in the windshield and other windows seemed pretty simple. Well I got the shroud around the steering column off with no problem. BUT I can not get the ignition out. I had even resorted to using a screwdriver that I beat the bejusus out of trying to get it to break free so I can pull it out... I am hoping someone here could give me ANY and I mean ANY suggestions as to how to fix this. I really do not want to have to tow the truck to a garage, and I did call a locksmith after I smashed the ignition in and well shockingly he said he didn't want to work on it...lol... thank you in advance for any suggestions.

I feel awful about what happened to you, with that being said, I own a lot of Chevy's, I'm not positive but you might have a pass lock system, and busting up the ignition switch will not allow the truck to start, you will need at the very least an new ignition switch with a key. Removal I can't help you with, but an in depth google search will probably find you the answers you need. I don't if you have tried this, but I believe that there is a very good Silverado chat site. Sorry I couldn't be a little more help.

It's going to suck, as I recall. To remove the cylinder it must be rotated with the key till you can get a small pick into the little hole that will release the cylinder from the housing. I believe the little hole is on top and the cylinder must rotate to the crank position for you to find the little button to depress so the cylinder will pop out these were a pain back when I was in the dealership. It will likely be worse now. Unfortunately it is a passkey system and the only way to learn a new key without an original is going to be at the dealer.i have been gone from the dealer for a while now so if I'm off on this I apologize. Also there are some Chevy truck forums out there that my give you some better advice. I don't recall the name of one I use to follow
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 06-22-2017 at 10:21 PM.

FEP Supporter

Looks like a 3/8" bit and a drill will remove the switch.

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/74lc...inder-key.html

A used switch with a key on ebay will set you back about $40.00...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2002-CH...dXpNBx&vxp=mtr

If you have passlock, here are instructions to bypass it.

https://www.kingbain.com/how-to-perm...sslock-system/

You'll fix it!
    '85 GT

????

Your first post here?

Perhaps a Chevrolet forum would be more useful to you.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302