Close

Default Finally got after 30 years

When I was 11-12 years old (1986) the lady who lived a block away from me bought a 1985 GT. I rode my bike by this car every day, peeked in the window and dreamed of it. This was the hot car back then. She always said if she ever sold it is get first dibs. Her husband at the time worked with my dad at the ford dealership so always kept in touch throughout the years. Last year I asked if she still had and she said yes but hasn't drove or started in 14years just sitting in the garage. For sale? Nope but your the first one to get still she said. I asked if I could come look at it to see if it still looked as I remembered and maybe help you get it back on the road. She said sure. So I went to see it after 30 years and it looked as I hoped. 50k miles untouched inmolested still with the stock 2 knob radio. I asked again. For sale? She said if you still want it I'll sell it to you and only you. If not I'll keep it. She told me what it would take for her to let it go and I didn't even dicker. (Pretty cheap in my opinion) so after 30 years she kept her promise and I ended up with it. Now granted I have a 87LX I've had for 25 years a 88 gt with t-tops 40k miles and have had (now sold) a low mile 93 white feature and 93 cobra both gold cars. But for some reason the ordinary 85 has always been on my list to have. Now time for mild restoration (tank,pump,tires, batt, all fluids gone though). Now if someone can tell me how to show pics from my phone would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cool story!!

Congrats on the new addition and having the patience and perseverance to see it through!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Load em up on photobucket.

Congrats, and look forwards to the pics.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Wow...VERY COOL!!! Finally somebody I have found (and my age) that chased a car longer than I did! I chased my '82GT from the original owner (my first boss at 16yrs old) for 21 years before he finally sold it to me in 2008. And ironically, a neighbor of my first house as an adult had a low mile 85 GT tucked away similar to your story. That is the '85 GT that I own now....he sold it to me after 15 years of "persistence"
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Nice story persistence in your dream paid off.

Great story. In addition to the details of the recent verbal exchanges and the subsequent purchase, I especially liked the "rode my bike" comment. Reminds me of when my small town Ford dealer would get in a cool car, and I would repeatedly ride by bike there to look at it.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Riding bikes....one of the MANY things today's generation cares less and less about, like playing outside in general, communicating in person or talking on the phone, or even getting a drivers license.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Very cool story! I don't know which is more exciting...a lady that had a GT in '86 with more power than many guys...including me...could handle or a lady that liked the car enough to keep it for 30 years. Congratulations! Can't wait to see pics.
    Last edited by LT-84GTturbo; 06-19-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

That's awesome!! Can't wait to see pics!!
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White