Close

Thread: mass air meter

Default mass air meter

So I'm converting my 86 to mass air, I have a 91 GT shortblock, ported e7 heads, explorer intake and 65mm throttle body, factory 91 cam. My question is when installing mass air, is the factory MAF ok for what I have, or should I get an aftermarket one thats larger. I'm not trying to make this car a monster, 250-300hp is all im looking for, at the crank, not wheels, as I need to keep the factory wheels and tires.

Thanks in advance for looking

Kyle

The factory 89-91 MAF will be a source of some restriction.

What you should target is one to match the CFM of the 65. I suggest a 1993 Cobra style 70MM MAF as they are stone reliable.

Now OE let's look at the cheap parts bin - a 70mm MAF from the 94/95 Mustang MAF with a flange adapter (the 94/95 GTs and Cobras use the same MAF).

If you want to run 24 lb/hr injectors get a 93 Cobra ECU.

There are a few others that do some averages stuff that are also great but those cost way more unually.
    Last edited by erratic50; 06-18-2017 at 11:32 PM.

With that mostly stock setup, I wouldn't go with anything but the stock meter and 19# injectors.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

70MM Cobra meter works great with 65MM throttle body, 19's and an A9L.

24's aren't required unless the stock intake is upgraded or ported and 1 5/8" or larger headers are added. And on mine all I did was increase fuel pressure a little.

These are my results in my 86GT with a mild 90's SD friendly cam and E6 heads.

sounds good, I did grab a set of 24#s from the JY just in case, for $20 i figured why not, but the 19# i have are serviceable and it would make life easier. I thought the 91 MAF might be a little small but i wasnt sure my setup needed the 80MM i see on ebay, thanks for the info.

Would the actual sensor work from one of the newer mustangs, or would i use the sensor i have?
    Last edited by 86AscMclaren; 06-19-2017 at 12:31 AM.

93 cobra MAF part number is FIZF-12B579-AA

They do not have anything special or odd about MAF calibration. They are set the way a MAF is normally set. What allows the 24# injectors is the tune in the ECU that knows 24's are there.

X3Z is often what's used to describe the 93 Cobra ECU

They are readily available from the Mcparts stores and work GREAT with GT fan fare as well as upgrades.

The tune is a little softer than the A9L MAF tune. Guys with Cobras reported gains by chipping an A9L so it knew it had 24's or putting the A9L advance curve setup in their X3Z.

Speed density guys with early SD cars got the VM1 which makes the SD cars run like a raped ape. Later VR1 and DS1 took a lot of power out in hopes of cutting back on transmission warranty issues. Add 1.7:1 rockers or a mild SD friendly cam, remove the intake silencer and set base timing right on an 86 with SD and a VM1 and the 86's win out 0-60 and will run right with a 93 cobra power wise. Somebody forgot to tell the 86 that it was missing needed go fast parts.

The SD setups often don't idle as well. They also don't make as much low and midrange torque as a MAF setup. Same engine swapped to MAF will be down on HP and will not run the 1/4 quite as fast as it did before but is a lot more fun to drive in general. And you can usually add another degree or two of base timing to get the power back plus a little.

more info here:
    http://www.mustang-s.com/years/1993/1993_cobra.htm
    Last edited by erratic50; 06-19-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    93 cobra MAF part number is FIZF-12B579-AA

They do not have anything special or odd about MAF calibration. They are set the way a MAF is normally set. What allows the 24# injectors is the tune in the ECU that knows 24's are there.

X3Z is often what's used to describe the 93 Cobra ECU
    yeah i know the code for 24# is in the computer, I just wondered if the earlier computer could read whatever information the later meters sent to it, knowing Ford, they can, just wanted to be sure

I have a doc I used when I converted my 86 to MAF. PM me if you would like it.

Forgot to say - Tom Moss did some dyno pulls before/after SD to MAF conversion.

the results confirm what seat of the pants says

Info about the 93 Cobra meter in link below.

It's part of why I had to increase fuel pressure to get it in safe range up top with an A9L and 19's. With my Typhoon EFI I shift at around 6100 so I can stay off the rev limiter. It's not done there yet but rev limiters are brutal. My car pulls hard up there- making some real steam for a mostly stock and tired E6 longblock for sure. Some of that is expected when a worn timing set retards a near stock but mild SD friendly cam.

From about 5500 - 6100 in 2nd it charges fast. Also when I hit third. my car pulls on my sons stock 86 with VM1 that's turned up considerably in that zone. Not quite like it's tied to a stump but massively.

But my car runs a T5Z and 2.73's. 0-60 is all 1st gear, I'm running 87-88 mph when I shift into 3rd. Definitely need steeper rear gears!

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...ck-gt-maf.html

Link above is a good reason to run the 93 cobra computer instead of an A9L once airflow out paces the stock GT MAF meter.
    Last edited by erratic50; 06-19-2017 at 01:15 AM.

Btw - I love ASC's. Would love to see a pic or two.

Name:  asc 1.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  9.2 KB

Sadly this is all it looks like now, but its suppose to have black stripes, and is the only one made in the grey/black color combo, one of these days ill get the stripes on and body kit installed

That is a really cool ride! You will enjoy a lot of additional low end and mid range torque once you have it running with MAF.

Rig a throttle stop on it at 1/4 throttle and drive it with the SD one last time to measure how fast it goes on the stop. Then do the conversion and drive it again. You will see a big bump in speed.

I know this because I've driven my car for a very long time. My foot just knows where 60 is.... but with MAF every time I look down now I'm speeding. 73-74 mph at the same spot. I have never measured mpg but it likely has improved.

JN

i wish i could, right now the engine is all over the garage, im putting it back together and in this weekend and with the modifications ive made i cant keep it SD

What's the mods?

I went with Pro-M. Maybe a 73.
    Great results.

Mark

I'm keeping the stock wheels and tires, which arent to large, hell its to easy to burn out as it is, so all ive done so far is 91 short block, ported e7 heads, explorer intake, 24# injectors, cobra MAF, 65mm TB. Nothing to much, but all better then the 86 motor that was in there, and so far total cost has been under $500. I found a cobra computer for not alot of cash, $110 so as soon as I get a bit more, thats going in, and there are some foxes and 94-5s that showed up in the JY im going to go take a look at for the harness.