Close

Default Convert 84 LX nose to GT with fog lights

My 84 LX is at the body shop collecting dust until I find a decent front bumper cover. Mine is too beat to re work.

The only one I found is a 84 GT front bumper cover with fog lights which the LX didn't come with.

My body shop guy says I should take it and add the wiring to get the fog lights to work.

Anyone done this? Where is the fog light switch in a stock set up?

Fog light switch is normally mounted to the left of the steering column at the bottom of the dash. Personally it was always a knee catch for me getting in and out of the vehicle. I mounted an OEM later model rocker switch in my information center along with a vacuum and water temperature gauge.

I would say go for it too. The 84.5 GT nose is a rare piece and getting harder to find every day. You will need the lower fog light bracket to install the bumper cover properly since the GT cover attaches to the fog light bracket at the bottom rather than the radiator support, but they are generally easy to source. The fog light bracket from an 84.5-86 Mustang GT is what you are looking for. Same bracket was used on the SVO also 84-86. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Fog light switch is normally mounted to the left of the steering column at the bottom of the dash. Personally it was always a knee catch for me getting in and out of the vehicle. I mounted an OEM later model rocker switch in my information center along with a vacuum and water temperature gauge.

I would say go for it too. The 84.5 GT nose is a rare piece and getting harder to find every day. You will need the lower fog light bracket to install the bumper cover properly since the GT cover attaches to the fog light bracket at the bottom rather than the radiator support, but they are generally easy to source. The fog light bracket from an 84.5-86 Mustang GT is what you are looking for. Same bracket was used on the SVO also 84-86. Good Luck!

the bumper cover Im looking at is still on the car so I should be able to get everything I need. im just wondering how tricky it will be to wire up the fog lights.

Anybody have a wiring diagram from a 84 GT showing the fog light set up?

On mine they shut off when the brights are on. Never understood that. Maybe this will help
    Attached Images Attached Images   

IMHO it's not worth the headache to use the OEM wiring unless the car is stripped.

All you need is a 30 amp relay, the switch and some wire. You can wire the lights so that the main power feeds directly from the battery to the relay. Then wire the switch wire to ignition power, so the lights can't be left on with the ignition off. This will allow you to run just the fog lamps if you want or any combination with running lights, headlights, etc. The only issue you can run into if not tied into the headlights is if you are running hi beams and the fog lamps at the same time. That is illegal in most states. I seldom use my hi beams so I don't worry about it. Both ways to wire it up are shown below.

OH! Also you will need to switch your headlight switch out for a "With Fog Lamps" Headlight switch if you want to use the OEM wiring.

Fog Lamps tied into head lights so will cut off when Hi Beams are on.

Name:  Fog Lamps headlight switched.JPG
Views: 601
Size:  25.5 KB

Fog Lamps NOT tied into Headlights

Name:  Fog Lamp Switched.JPG
Views: 601
Size:  26.9 KB
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Power Member

All great info provided. Be sure to grab the fog light harness as well. I never found a replacement mating plug for the fog light. At least with the harness you can easily cone to it as shown above. I don't know how much of the factory wiring was installed on non fog light cars. Best to wire it as listed above. The under dash switch is not hard to find.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
    On mine they shut off when the brights are on. Never understood that. Maybe this will help
    Thanks. I cant visualize the fog light switch location from that pic. Can you take one a few feet back please?

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post

Thanks for the pics. I went to the seller and pulled the bumper cover and fog light bracket yesterday and man it was a nightmare.

First of all the car was in a storage facility so I had no room to work on the thing to get it out. Had to work by the flash light app on my phone since I never thought to bring a spot light. The car was the dirtiest car I've ever seen. Literally covered in dirt, mud, dry leaves everywhere. I was covered head to toe in dirt when I was done. Had dirt in my eyes and ears.

Took me and my son about 2 hours to free it up to get the stuff off. Ford didn't do us any favors with the way the Fog light switch is held in. Nearly impossible to get it out. The only way I could get on the 2 nuts holding it in was with a needle nose vice grip.

One bad thing is the 2 fog lights are in bad shape. I cant re use them. I see the light bulb on ebay is cheap but the complete assembly are ranging in price from $100 to $300 a pair. I didn't think fog lights would be hard to find NOS or repro. Any suggestions?

Good used fog light sets come up for sale here, Ebay, Craigslist, etc. semi-regularly. You just need to keep an eye out for them.

You can put an aftermarket set in if you want, although they probably won't really save you any $$ unless you go Autozone/Pep Boys/Orielly's Cheap.

Hella and Cibie both make some similar sized fog lamps that work pretty well. The advantage to some of the later style lights is the bulbs are different and allow more options than the original Marchal's do. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
    That's because it is illegal to have more than four beams on at one time...at least it was back in the day of sealed, individual headlights. Brights come on, the lows stay on too, so the fog/driving lights were wired to shut off. I had aftermarket fogs on my '82 Capri back in the day that were not wired through the headlight circuit. I got pulled over a few times for it...with just warnings.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

All great advice above. I did the same thing to my early 84 GT as I like the look of the 84 1/2 bumper better.

For the foglight wiring, I did as Trey suggested and ran the foglight circuit separately of the factory harness, as I felt it was not worth the trouble of doing it as the factory did. I made my own harness and utilized weatherpak connectors on the end of it where it hooks onto the foglights. I also took off the factory connectors on the Marchals and rewired them using the mating weatherpaks to the harness. I still have to get the foglight switch refurbished and mounted, but all systems are good to go when I get that far.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    All great advice above. I did the same thing to my early 84 GT as I like the look of the 84 1/2 bumper better.

For the foglight wiring, I did as Trey suggested and ran the foglight circuit separately of the factory harness, as I felt it was not worth the trouble of doing it as the factory did. I made my own harness and utilized weatherpak connectors on the end of it where it hooks onto the foglights. I also took off the factory connectors on the Marchals and rewired them using the mating weatherpaks to the harness. I still have to get the foglight switch refurbished and mounted, but all systems are good to go when I get that far.
    where do you send the switch out to be refurbished?

my interior is pretty close to perfect but the fog light switch I got is beat.