Close

Thread: GLX Exhaust tip

Default GLX Exhaust tip

I noticed on the '83 GLX convertible that I'm buying that it has just a standard looking downturned exhaust tip. Is this the only option for this car? Was the single outlet, stainless, dual exhaust tip more commonly seen on the GT, SVO and other models an option for other models? I combed through the 1983 brochure, but couldn't find any references for this option.

Any input would be appreciated.

Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Those could be pretty interesting on a later car with duals if executed properly.

I don't think the GT option was avaliable on the GLX

See this mega post...4 pages of twin tip single goodness

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    Pace Car pipes come out at a downward angle in relation to the lower edge of the bumper. '82-84 GT tails bend upward more so that they come out more parallel to the lower edge of the bumper...thus two different tails, although both are dual tip chrome. Obviously they are both interchangeable, but both have an angle cut-off at the tips. I think it is the exit angle of the tips themselves that is confusing the issue of whether or not the "cut-off" is flush or angled. Stand to the side of a PC and the pipes appear to be dead straight coming from over the axel. From the side of an '82-84GT you can see where the tail comes down from over the axel and then bends up to exit out parallel.

I'm sure somebody can post similar pics of an all original PC from similar angles...but here is the '82-84 GT tip.

Not optional since 1980 model year. It was standard with 1982 through 1984, and early 1985 CFI, 5.0L engine, regardless which model the engine was in.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 06-17-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

The y piece part is around if you can afford to purchase it, and have it cromed.

You can custom build from 2001 Explorer and Mountaineer 5.0 exhaust y peices...although old, they are very high quality 90 thou wll thickness steel

aftermarket

I saw a video of an '84 LX convertible that had one, but it was equipped with a 5.0 engine. I was able to get my hands on one of the original Walker reports that has the tailpipe section that goes from the muffler on back with the exhaust tip attached. I was wondering if it would work on the exhaust setup for the 3.8 V-6, or not.
    Bryan

This is what a stock exhaust tip is showing. I think if you want to be stock, then this is your only option. If you want to change things up, then there are a lot of choices.
    https://www.carid.com/1983-ford-must...123367879.html
    Last edited by smitty54; 06-17-2017 at 05:43 PM.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    This is what a stock exhaust tip is showing. I think if you want to be stock, then this is your only option. If you want to change things up, then there are a lot of choices.
    https://www.carid.com/1983-ford-must...123367879.html
    Yeah, that's what it has now. I just like the look of the chrome dual outlet tip. I thought it went well with TRX wheels.
    Bryan

Then do it. It's your car. It's not a radical thing that can't be changed.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    Then do it. It's your car. It's not a radical thing that can't be changed.
    Yes, that's true. I was just looking to see if any GLXs might have had it from the factory as an option, which appears to be no. The other concern was the compatibility of a complete tailpipe section with the existing layout. If that's not known, I could just take both to a muffler shop and ask them the same question.
    Bryan

My 1983 GLX 5.0 has the dual chrome tips that you speak of.

New User

If I remember correctly all V8 and Turbo Mustangs had the chrome dual exhaust tip.